exhaust leaks

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
I have eight exhaust leaks on my 66 barracuda. It's a 318 unknown origin, with the 273 intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and valve covers. The problem is the little 1/4" smog hole below each exhaust port. The holes are not threaded. Does anyone have a cheap, in the car fix for this problem? Also, can some one tell me how to separate my text and pictures so I can label the pictures?
pic 1 is the front port of the driver's side
pic 3 is the middle port
pic 2 you can barely see the hole below the manifold.

exhaust 001 (Small).jpg

exhaust 004 (Small).jpg

exhaust 002 (Small).jpg

An in car fix I don't know. I had my engine out before the swap and that's when I drilled and tapped/plugged them. In the car I don'e think there's enough room. You might be able to find some self tapping machine type screws that you can screw in along with locktite and then grind off the heads. But without pulling the heads of motor I would think that's it.

The nicest fix would be to tap the hole and put a bolt in it. The easiest thing to do would be to weld it closed, ideally with a tig machine or a poorboy.

I've started the tapping with a 1/4-20 tap. I got the first two tapped about 3/8" and put bolts in. They both went in and twisted off flush with the block. Perfect so far. Now I have to get the exhaust manifold out of the way so I can attack the back two. I can't see any way to wiggle it out of there.

Got to love the early A. I do believe you will have to separate the steering from the box and loosen it from inside and pull it back up through from inside to get that drivers manifold out.

I used to just remove the two nuts under the dash and remove the bolts that hold the plate at the base of the column and just move it just a little to the side and the manifold will come out without removing any linkage or steering box.

-
Back