Exhaust manifold coatings

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
I used a product called Calyx on my cast iron manifolds when I restored the car last summer. After only 300 miles or so, all the coating is gone. NO trace of it anywhere. What do you guys use, or suggest I use, on my manifolds to give them that new cast iron look? Remember that they are installed in the car now, so I would only be able to do the tops.

Thanks in advance,

George

Psssssssst, George ... I do high temp ceramic coatings here in Performance Chrome, Stealth Black and CAST IRON GRAY. If you decide to pull them, I'd be delighted to help you make them look new again. (Ceramic coatings have their own section near the bottom of the Pricing & Shipping tab on my website.)

Thanks Leanna. If they were off the car, they would have already been on their way to you. I really thought about pulling them and contacting you, but the drivers side is a BEAR to remove, and the engine would have to be lifted in order to remove it.

George

George, believe me, I KNOW. That's the same reason my own headers are still on my car with their 15 year old Jet Hot job. LOL That driver's side is a nightmare but the passenger side is cake.

Best of luck with your dilemma. ;-)

I`ve heard Eastwood sells a good manifold paint that you brush on. The main thing is to clean every bit of rust and dirt off the manifolds before painting them.

I`ve heard Eastwood sells a good manifold paint that you brush on. The main thing is to clean every bit of rust and dirt off the manifolds before painting them.
Dirt? Rust? WHAAAAAT? :D

Thanks. I'll check out the website.

George

Pah! I have used the Eastwood product and followed the instructions to the "T". The crap flaked off and I had rusty manifolds 2 months after application. I used POR 15 products as well and some Pep Boys paint as well. All with the same results. Grrr....

I finally had the machine shop that did my 340 coat my manifolds with Cast Iron Gray chemical coating. They also coated the inside of the manifolds with a thermal barrier to keep the heat in and moving out the pipes instead of warming up the engine bay. Cost was $150 for the pair, and they have been perfect for over three years now. They also coated my intake with a thermal barrier in the water passage, and a oil resistant thermal barrier on the underside of the intake to keep the heat off the air/fuel mixture.

The driver side is a pain because you have to lift up the engine a bit with the motor mount loosened, but it is worth it.

www.automotivemachine.net

I use Calyx because it looks great, BUT it's a pain in that it comes off on your hands or anything else that touches it (it's just a toothpaste/graphite formulation).........I've had it last for an entire season of driving, but agin it's a pain.

I'd like to try Leanna's ceramic........But I have to set the car aside for the turnaround.........that's the bummer.........:-D

-
Back