Exhaust Manifold hardware

-

Deceus

Reaction score
So how screwed am I? I bought a set of mainfolds to break-in my cam on a run stand. I don't want to ruin the ceramic coating I have on my headers and they won't fit with the truck bellhousing on the stand even with a mini starter. So the header bolts I have won't work obviously and I forgot to order hardware for the manifolds for this weekend.

Is there anyway to mount these things just long enough to check for leaks? Can I just buy some Home Depot bolts the right length? I have the studs needed for first and last holes already, just need to find a solution that'll last 15-20 minutes and let me break in my motor.

So how screwed am I? I bought a set of mainfolds to break-in my cam on a run stand. I don't want to ruin the ceramic coating I have on my headers and they won't fit with the truck bellhousing on the stand even with a mini starter. So the header bolts I have won't work obviously and I forgot to order hardware for the manifolds for this weekend.

Is there anyway to mount these things just long enough to check for leaks? Can I just buy some Home Depot bolts the right length? I have the studs needed for first and last holes already, just need to find a solution that'll last 15-20 minutes and let me break in my motor.
absolutely - I have run to a local hardware store many many times for assorted nuts and bolts when I've been in a pinch.. go get it done!

Now that I think about it, I have enough grade 8 studs to do most of the holes since I bought a set that was way too long at first. I may just throw those on in hopes of getting a decent seal. I think the stock hardware had some kind of special nut to center the studs on the ends in their hole. Not sure how necessary that'll for something like this.

Now that I think about it, I have enough grade 8 studs to do most of the holes since I bought a set that was way too long at first. I may just throw those on in hopes of getting a decent seal. I think the stock hardware had some kind of special nut to center the studs on the ends in their hole. Not sure how necessary that'll for something like this.
yea, I wouldn't be concerned with those for now either - hell, I have used washers to make up space when the bolt has been too long. You're not looking for pretty at this point - just function.

Going with bolts or studs is fine. I prefer buying grade 8
To answer your questions about washers, you want hardened cone washers:
Mancini Racing Exhaust Manifold Conical Washer

It's important to at least use those on the 2 end bolts/studs on the manifolds.
Or you can just use them on all of the bolts.

If using bolts be sure they're not too long to bottom out! The threaded holes aren't very deep in the head.

Will definitely be sure to measure twice for the bolt length. Better for it to be a bit too short than too long. Probably won't be able to get those washers in time but will order em if I don't get the chance to fire it up this weekend.

-
Back