Exhaust manifold/water jacket leak

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`ve tried everything short of welding the exhaust manifold studs into the heads and I still have a coolant leak. Any suggestions?

I used permatec utra copper, a high temp silicone. Put it on the threads like pipe dope. It worked for me.

all sbm outer exhaust studs and all bbm exhaust studs go into water jackets. a dab of silicone on the end and anti-seize on the threads and you are good to go

I haven`t tried the epoxy , isn`t that vulnerable to heat? Regular and hi-temp silicone have not worked either. Does the Permatec Ultra Copper have a high metal content? Maybe that would do it. I`ve replaced all the studs and tried nearly every type of silicone out there but still the leak persists. I`ll see what`s available in Epoxys and check out the Permatec Ultra Copper but I`m still open to suggestions. Thanks all!

Hey Longgone, usually using the high temp silicone is all it takes. You may have another problem such as a cracked bolt hole in which case the resin-epoxy should work. Make sure the hole is perfectly clean first using a thread tap and brake cleaner. Also check the pressure lifting setting of the rad cap that you're not over pressureing the cooling system. :evil2:

I removed all the studs that had any sign of leaking, chased the threads and installed new studs with the Permatec Ultra copper silicone. So far , so good. Thanks all!

-
Back