Exhaust pipe repair ?

-

1968340S

Reaction score
I have stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust system has tail pipes. To remove my exhaust system, I had to cut the pipe 3" pass the end of the muffler, because the rest of the pipe ran above the axels out to the rear valance and there was no other way of removing the system. No car hoist.

I installed the exhaust and also the tail pipe back to the area that I cut off by the muffler. I can only spot weld the pipe back together no room for a complete weld. Question is after I spot weld for strength is there any type of exhaust tape or rap that could be used to seal the pipe were the cut was. I can't use a cuppler because the pipe starts to bend.

On my dirt bikes I use a rubber boot and zip ties with a little sealer. Is there a fix for this situation.

Thanks,
Chris

u could instead of spot weilding them expand one end to make slips and use a clamp??

or tack it and drive it to a shop...

If I do that, I will not have the proper length of pipe left to hang the tail pipe.
And the bend in the pipe will not allow it anyways.

k, im tryin to remember when i put my new single exhaust in my 73...

u could do side exit or rear end dumps...

but yea i know ur delema of tryin to get that tube over the rear end around the shock and gas tank...

it sucs with out a lift

Oh! u could drop the rear end, put ur exhaust in place, tack it. drop it and wield it. fit it again and then reinstall the rear end?

Muffler tape is a very temporary fix. There are couplers made of woven steel but they`re expensive. Probably your best bet would be to tack weld it in place and then run it up to your local muffler guy and let him finish it.

Ya thats what I should try. Muffler tape with a clamp. This all I can do at this time. I really don't want to have acomplete weld, so when I have to work on the car I could remove the exhaust with out having to cut it up again. A removeable cuppler should have been installed for future removal.

Maybe this might work beening that the cut is past the muffler and less back pressure. I don't know.

On my Barracuda I have flanges installed at the bend behind each muffler that travels up and over the axle so I can remove the pipes without having to cut up anything. I`ll post a picture if I can find one.

two options, weld a flange to each pipe and put a gasket in betwen then bolt togheter or you could tackweld it in position then lower the pipes as far as you possibly can and then weld it properly all around, i dont trust any bandage solutions for that:)

I'm not a good welder or exhaust pro. I always take my car to a professional exhaust shop and let them take care of business. They will be able to weld everything up nice and tight. There is one here in town that are good ol' boys so they did me right... X-pipe and all.

-
Back