exhaust recomendations

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I already have the dougs heads on my 416 stroker motor. I recently picked up a dougs 3" Xpipe. Before I go ahead with this, I read that the 3" pipes are very hard to run all the way out to the rear? As an option I was thinking 3" Xpipe with mufflers and then changing to 2.5" after the mufflers all the way to the rear tips? Has anyone here done such a setup and what mufflers would I use? Offsets?

this will probably work fine.
early 340 cars were 2 1/4" to the muffler and then 2" tailpipes

I have TTI's complete 3inch exhaust system out the back with X-pipe on a 67 notchback and it fits great. I don't remember which offsets on the mufflers but if I remember right if you get on there website and look at there drawings it will tell you. I personally, wouldn't reduce from 3inch to 2.5, I would hate to choke down that 416.

It fit great on my car and sounds good too. I went with the dynomax VT mufflers. No drone.

a muffler about 14" long ..offset "N" centre "T"
.. add a 2 1/2"reducer on the outlet

Usually, a reduction in tail pipe diameter will pick up bottom end torque on the street, so that's a good thing. The factories knew it. That's the main reason it was done. Use an off the shelf kit if you want, but if we don't start supporting local guys trying to make a living, sooner or later, they'll be a thing of the past. I say check around and find a good local muffler shop. That way, should you have any warranty issues, you won't have to worry about shipping, inspection and all the associated hooah and you might even make some new friends.

What is "N" and "T"?? Am I just dumb??

Inlett offset

Outlet center

Thats how these cars are stock,thats how TTI does it,and thats how the summit systems are.

i think Pypes use Offset/offset mufflers for some weird reason..

I read that the 3" pipes are very hard to run all the way out to the rear?

As an option I was thinking 3" Xpipe with mufflers and then changing to 2.5" after the mufflers all the way to the rear tips? Has anyone here done such a setup and what mufflers would I use? Offsets?

The first part is completely untrue. Think about this logically. do you think a 1/4" difference will make or break you? TTi's 3" is a snap to fit under the car. The tight spots in all honesty could be avoided if they altered the design slightly. And the tight sports aren't sue to 3" pipe they are due to the gorilla hangers they sell to use as mid hangers.

I did a similar setup as your proposing however mine was 3.5" into the X and 3" out.

I have TTI's complete 3inch exhaust system out the back with X-pipe on a 67 notchback and it fits great.

I personally, wouldn't reduce from 3inch to 2.5, I would hate to choke down that 416.It fit great on my car and sounds good too. I went with the dynomax VT mufflers. No drone.

I'd avoid flowmasters when you choose your mufflers.

Usually, a reduction in tail pipe diameter will pick up bottom end torque on the street, so that's a good thing. The factories knew it. That's the main reason it was done. Use an off the shelf kit if you want, but if we don't start supporting local guys trying to make a living, sooner or later, they'll be a thing of the past. I say check around and find a good local muffler shop. That way, should you have any warranty issues, you won't have to worry about shipping, inspection and all the associated hooah and you might even make some new friends.

A++++ do this it's what i did on the old dart back in the day. they had it welded up installed in 1/2 hour never leaked never fell off even after umpteen speed bump incidents lol.

meineke is a good one ... midas dont go there unless you have a wallet of gold

-
Back