exhaust smog outlet plug size

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the correct size plug screw to buy to plug the little outlet below the exhaust port on 302 heads? I want to get the right ones, also, what material should they be? Iron, stainless, bronze? Thanks guys.

I don't know if there is a "correct' size... but I can tell you what I used. I used 1/8" natural steel because that is all I could find locally at the time. Then I drilled it with the appropriate drill size for the 1/8" NPT tap to a depth that would put the plug just below the suface, and then tapped it.

Hope that helps somewhat??? Maybe some one else will chime in that has done more of them and knows more.

DSCF2171.jpg

DSCF2173.JPG

I don't have a welder. And, I don't want to mess up my heads, I'm pretty good with a mig in industrial applications, have several hundred hours welding angle iron, galv and mild steel, but these are my babies, you know? I want them perfect...
Hey, have you ever noticed how optimistic camquest is? I punched in my combo with the cam whose grind is closest to mine, it came up with some rediculous numbers, if I get within 50 hp of that figure I'll boot scoot all the way to Santa Clara, I swear! And when I punch the nitrous into the equation it gets even better... 1000+ lb.s at 1000 rpm? HAHAHAHAHA! out of a 318? you gotta be kidding me... my system don't kick on till 3400 rpm anyway.

use 1/8 pipe plugs like was said before. Exactly like Dartboy said.

-
Back