Exhaust System on '67 barracuda

-

cudajareav

Reaction score
I wasn't sure what category i needed to post this under, so i figured General was good enough for now and will get me heading in the right direction.

I'm building a '67 Barracuda with a 273 commando and we're to the point that i need to start thinking about muffler/exhaust system. I don't have headers, i still have the exhaust manifolds on it and we want the exhaust to come out just in front of the back tires.

I've been getting a few quotes here and there and I am thinking about getting flowmasters put on, I don't know much about what else is out there and this is the exhaust system my dad had on his car. so i figured i would stick with what i know.

Anyway, I wanted to know if there is room to put that type of exhaust system under the car. one shop that quoted me said there might not enough room.

Is there anyone that has flomasters strapped under their car or are there any suggestions as to what i could get instead?

Thanks!

Emily

You'd be better off buying the new exhaust system for and AAR Cuda and shorting where needed.

The problem is not that they won't fit but more how they would need to fit. The car has a recess for mufflers just in front of the rear differential to keep ground clearance.
To install a leg pipe it would need to change a lot of direction like a backward broken S. At that point I do not see it as being efficient. The other option is to use an AAR/T/A muffler which enter/exits on the front and turns back again probably not the best and does Flowmaster make a muffler to do this?
T/A exhaust example: http://www.accurateltd.com/AARTA-Complete-Exhaust-System_p_187.html#

Making regular tail pipe(s) seems more logical and I imagine no more/less work or material for a better flowing result.

You can run 2.25" tailpipes out the back, no problem. Just carefully route it around the fuel tank strap J-bolt on the right side. I slipped a piece of rubber hose over the bolt so it doesn't rattle. I am using a pair of Walker Super Turbo mufflers sized for a 1968 Barracuda 340.

I'm guessing 2.5" would work, too -- you would just have to be even more precise.

A 3" single on the left side to the Commando resonator would be plenty of flow, too. And it would sound better than Flowmasters.

-
Back