Expert Spark Plug Readers Opinions

-

12many

Reaction score
Working on finally trying to acquire the skills to read spark plugs at the moment, never really had the patience to do this thoroughly. Currently tuning on a vintage 500cc air cooled all aluminum single cylinder motorcycle (one cylinder, should be easy right?) Bike has been parked for almost three years. Working out some issues with it from just sitting.
Running a Mikuni Carb, points ignition distributor with advance similar to our oem Mopars, timing was set (in years past) at 32° total but can’t exactly remember initial and at what rpm total came. Want to say 10° initial and 32°@2000 or so.
Anyway, I’ve got my idle mixture setting spot on, nice caramel color and now have moved on to 1/2 throttle “jet needle” and “needle jet” midrange tuning. Did a 1/2 throttle run (approx
4500 rpm) for about 5 minutes with a new NGK BR8ES plug and this is what I’m getting. Looks lean, probably need more fuel? but my question relates to timing and possible heat range of the plug:
Looking at the strap you can see the two distinct discolorations. Not sure about heat range. I’d think I need to get the jetting dialed in first for that?
But regarding the strap indicating timing, what do you think? Any input greatly appreciated

BB3D0C1E-09EB-4DB7-BF78-7700D08E5575.png

C2EE0778-18D8-4C11-BF3A-07F86476B5B4.jpeg

8A1CA5B5-B1A9-4946-8EC7-115528EAEC6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Unless the timing is locked out you are seeing the initial mark and the total mark.

What makes you think it’s lean? On pump gas that looks pretty good. In fact on any gasoline not oxygenated or using MMT that plug looks pretty good for being on the needle/main jet at a cruise.

Also, it’s not too clear in the picture but I see no signs of detonation and I don’t see any rounding of the sharp edges of the center wire and ground strap. Looks pretty good in the pictures anyway.

-
Back