Explain this exhaust tip phenomenom

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
I have noticed that on some Dusters/Dart Sports/Demons the chrome tips seem to be at more of an upward angle with less space between the bumpers and exhaust tips... I like this look and want to replicate it on my '70 Duster. Is it just a matter of personal taste or did they come this way from Ma Mopar. They look better tucked closer to the bumper and angled higher in my opinion....nico

I Am Like You, I Hate Them Out To Far ,and Down To Low . Tucked Up At The Indent Of The Tip Is Nice , That Is The Way Mine Are.

DSCN2133Medium.JPG

on the early A's,you're kinda stuck with location as these cars never had duals from the factory as far as I know.The later a's had the gas tank centered a little more and allow you to put the tips closer together,which looks way better IMO.And I did want them pointing up a little more,but the local exhaust guy thought he did me a favor by putting them on straight out

rollin 005.jpg

I know it's a matter of personal preference but I don't like chrome tips. I have been down that road before and found it's just not worth it. They eventually start rusting on the outside and inside therefore looks like crap, the stainless ones are expensive and will turn blue. I had mine replaced one time because of rust years ago on a truck I had. After that I said that was it.

My muffler man told me that they suck and he doesn't recommend running tips but yet run the pipe itself all the way out the back. He however has people like myself at onetime have to get those tips on the cars or they aren't happy.

I have mine dumped at the rear axle and NO I don't have fumes coming into the cabin. My car is sealed from the inside out with Dynomat and urethane caulking. Right now I'm in the process of changing my dumped system to over the axle and flush with the rear valance so that they can't be seen. The dumped system will kick up dust and is louder. I'm trying to tone it down a bit.

If your using the correct hangers and tips for your car they should all end up in the same location.

If your using the correct hangers and tips for your car they should all end up in the same location.

Kinda O/T sorry for the HiJack! Dad's planning on new mufflers+tailpipes for his 69 Dart. He wants to use the 340 style tips as well. I found the stainless version on accurateltd's site. Are the correct hangers for the tips necessary? We'll be using a local guy to bend up the tailpipes as there aren't any now. IIRC, the correct hangers were $60 through Accurate!

IMG_0020 (Small).JPG

i think some one sells the tips and hangers cheaper than accurate. i forget who but i dont think i bought mine from accurate. the factory hangers are real nice, they pretty much locate the tailpipes and are a nice quality hanger instead of the universal clamp and hanger or welded on hanger. the tips already have the bracket on them.

Just an FYI, tips can be useful to alter the exhaust sound. My RC had a very "rappy" exhaust. It is running a 10.2:1 comp ratio, headers and true 2 1/2" duals with no crossover and Summit "Turbo" mufflers. On the suggestion of another member, I cut the pipes back 18" and added a 18" long 3 1/2" diameter tips that deepened the exhaust note once it comes on the cam and not nearly as rappy sounding.

Just food for thought is all. :)

Adam has it right; the hangars will set the tips in the correct place. Find the hangars on eBay all the time.

jd340- Can you please post a few pix of your dad's car for me? Also, can you ask him the name of the color on his car? I really like that color, and if it's the same one I'm thinking about, I see it a lot on 68 Darts. Must have been a popular color in 68.

George

George: I will post some pics over in Mopar General, don't wanna hijack this thread further! ;)

Jim

-
Back