explorer parking brake is rubbish on my valiant

-

mygasser

Reaction score
as above i've fitted an explorer axle to my valiant. the parking brake is all but useless. i welded the looped end from the ford cables to the A body cables so they hook up to the parking brake levers and that all works fine. the problem is there is virtually no effort, which wouldn't be an issue if i hadn't converted my car to manual trans' also. so i need a parking brake that works. my car has the 'umbrella' type handle under the dash, i'm wondering if i'm not getting enough leverage ratio on it to make the effort it should. i'm not against fitting a tunnel mounted lever from another car as it's a driver/modified already so....
anyone come across this and how did you fix it?
cheers, neil.

yeah, i saw that he's had cables made for a direct fit. that's not the problem, i'm connected and functioning but with little effort. i'll remove the drums/discs again and check the actuating mech' inside isn't seized, i've only confirmed the lever moves externally and the shoes are adjusted up so far. apparently the mech' can seize inside due to not being used on auto cars which seems obvious i guess. cheers, neil.

yeah, i saw that he's had cables made for a direct fit. that's not the problem, i'm connected and functioning but with little effort. i'll remove the drums/discs again and check the actuating mech' inside isn't seized, i've only confirmed the lever moves externally and the shoes are adjusted up so far. apparently the mech' can seize inside due to not being used on auto cars which seems obvious i guess. cheers, neil.

Gotcha!

I do know if the disk/drum is removed without properly dis-engaging the Emergency Brake Pads they will not work properly when you reinstall the disk/drum. From what I have read they are not like a regular drum brake setup and have to disassembled in a different manner to prevent breakage of the mechanisms inside the setup.

Let us know what you come up with and hopefully it's something simple!

Cheers to you sir as well!!

Yes the lever inside does freeze up with water laying in there. They should pivot easily. I will use some light lithium grease on the pivot points. Mine were rusted stuck, and I live in dry assed west Texas

had it apart again today and all the mech' inside is nice and free. i've decided to go with a hydraulic parking brake as it'll be easy to add.
cheers for all the replies, neil.

i know it's best to move on, but dang it, i want to know what the problem ends up being :lol:

-
Back