Explorer rear end into Dart

-

CaesarConnor

Reaction score
I'm trying to put a 97 explorer 8.8 dif into my 67 dart. I'm using the explorer flanges because the differential is too thick to use the Dart plates. The shock mounts are angled on the Explorer and I'm wondering if mods are needed to them or should I be looking for something else.

All of the experience I have had with Explorers along that year and give or take five years either way is horrible. They burn up axle bearings really bad for some reason.

Looked at it again. Lots of great info especially on u joints, even showed pictures of the shock mounting plates but not one word about using or modifying them. The search continues

All of the experience I have had with Explorers along that year and give or take five years either way is horrible. They burn up axle bearings really bad for some reason.

That's because they weld the axle perches on with a nuke. Mine tubes were bent that way over 1/8th, after a little hillbilly straightening with a chain and a bottle jack, all is well:

http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/diffstraighten.html

Search the Ford forums dude.

I would have gone with the 94-99 SN-95 GT Mustang rear axle. It's about the right width, is centered up on the diff like it should be in a Mopar. Just some more cutting and welding. Tomswheels on Moparts has one in his valiant. Looks like a nice fit. They are only 28 Spline though.

Just shorten the long side and use 2 factory short side shafts, easy cheesy japaneesey... 31 splines and one tuff diff for less than 100$ with a 3.73 or 4.10 Limited slip. I've never heard of them having bearing issues either. I've swapped 5 of them into Jeeps over the years, the axle shafts are stronger than a Dana 60, and the diff itself is pretty much a copy of a GM 12 bolt

-
Back