Extension housing gasket replacement

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can replace the extension housing gasket in a 833 od without removing the housing completely?

I was wondering if I could unbolt the housing and swing it up like you would to get to the expansion plug, then try to work the gasket over the housing just like you put a tire on a rim.

I bought a gasket set from Brewer's and put the cover and retainer gasket on. The tail/extension housing isn't leaking but as long as I have the trans out???

Thanks,

CE

You would be a lot better off to snip the gasket at the top and use a little sealer when the housing goes back than to try and get the gasket over it.
There's no way that's gonna fly.

IMHO if the tailshaft isn't leaking, I'd leave it alone.

If you try and separate the tailshaft from the case, and pull it a little too far, or while trying to scrape the old gsk, or just movement, there is the possibility one of the imput/output bearing may fall out, which may require the tailshaft asmbly be pulled out enuff to replace the brg.

To do so, the O/D trans requires the cluster gear be dropped to remove the tailshaft and gears, which is a lotta work for not having a leak.

There's a coupla other things that could happen while jiggling it around loose, none good. jmo

Last edited:
I bought a gasket kit for mine. Didn't want to disassemble the tranny to replace the extension housing gasket so I unbolted it, twisted it around and smeared gasket sealant on the case where it meets the extension housing. No leaks in 2600 miles!

-
Back