Exterior Door Handle

-

68coupe

Reaction score
My 68 outside door handle have black buttons. I bought a nice set of door handles from a member that have chrome buttons. From various pictures some cars have black plastic, some have chromed metal. Anyone know what the deal is?

I know you can switch them, but which one is correct? I like the black ones, so I will probably use them. But why did they come different?

I have seven 68's and not one has a black button have a 71 dart with one side black button a 73 dart both black the majority have chrome whether a b c or trucks

1967s had chrome buttons, for sure. After that, black buttons seem to be the rule, although it's possible that early production 68s kept using the chrome ones until they ran out.

Good info thanks. I was wondering when the cutoff was, my 69 has black buttons.

Since we're on the subject of door handles, any recommendations for repo handles? Are they all made from one place and distributed by everyone or are their differences? Quality, fit, finishers. Thanks.

I think MVH is correct because my '68 Barracuda came with chrome buttons.

I recently purchased a new set of "Chrysler" door handles from Year-One. They are really nice, mechanically smooth and solid. If you search, you'll find a part # for late model vans that are supposed to work too.

Year one charges too much for door handles. I bought some to replace on my 88 Ramcharger for about $52 a pair new. I bought the same one and flipped around the small bracket that hooks to the long rod and used them on my 71 dart. I think they look great. Just thought I would save some members some MONEY.

The black button thing was for 68. You did have some chrome rollover from 67 that made it onto 68 cars and you also had some black rollover into 69.

My Early build '69 GT Sport has Black buttons, As does my '74 Scamp both handles have never been removed.

-
Back