Exterior glass mouldings - how to remove?

-

super70bird

Reaction score
Need to remove the steel mouldings around the windshield/backlite (see pic). What is the trick to doing this? Any special tools needed? Or just patience? I don't have either :D

Mine are really nice and I don't want to mess them up.

Thanks!
super70bird

PC020005.JPG

funny super, you will need both, patience and special tools unless you like spending hours trying to fix bent molding.. ( I used a screw driver to take them off) :( I did buy the tool to put them back on so I didn't have to use a mallet to hammer them in.
The tool is called a trim tool but I'm sure you already figured that out . The clips should be like the second pic, sorry its MSpaint....

The little grey thing in the pic (the clip) needs to be pulled away from the molding to get the molding slip up and out. VERY fun . :lol:

pp-wst32 (WinCE).jpg

clip_removal.jpg

Thanks a million Player1up. Will let you know how it goes.

Super70bird

Ok bought 2 tools, one said for Chrysler but that one didn't impress me (the red KD tool in pics). The other end with the round end was nice for separating the window gasket from the glass, after heating it with a heat gun.

The MAC tool worked great, got both moldings off in about 30 min. Just go slow, if 1 clip gives you trouble move on to the next then backtrack. Move it along at a 45 degree angle or so, when you hit a clip, push down on it and move it to 90 degrees and POP off the molding comes. See pics.

BTW, on my survivor 74 Duster: There were 23 front clips and 12 rear clips. The lower rear molding is attached with screws.

PC120013.JPG

PC120017.JPG

PC120014.JPG

PC120015.JPG

I had the opposite, the KD Chrylser tool worked great and the MAC GM style tool didn't work very good. Either way it is my most unfavorite part of a Mopar.

super70bird, could the floor be any cleaner inside that car you have pics of, wow.

Chuck

Nothing like the right tool for the right job.
I know right.... looks like the pics were taken 30+ years ago.. we all hate you bird .. :lol: maybe that's jealousy

-
Back