Exterior Skin to Bracing Adhesive

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
The other day I was sitting inside the gutted interior of my 71 Dart, contemplating the meaning of life and I made an observation. The adhesive that was used to bond the roof skin to the bracing on the inside had been mostly removed. The convex shape of the skin is the only thing currently supporting the, so far, unblemished roof. What product is used to join these two parts?

I have the same question for my hood. I got a primo ram air hood with the car, but a PO had started chemically stripping it and didn't finish the process. I had it dipped to make sure everything was taken care of. The dipping process removed the stick-um between the hood skin and bracing as well. What is a good substitute for what Ma Mopar used in this application? Thanks.

Jim

Just a question, Dont they use a foam type product in order to allow the roof to expand and contract?

I was wondering if it was glued to the braces wouldnt it deform when the sun hits it?

I am not sure, I was just wondering.

I wrote this before I looked at the Autobody tool mart stuff. Which is a foam type product.

Oneway... you hit the nail on the head.... and that is the reason you need to use the product I listed or something along the same lines... If you use a product that gets hard it will "grow" when it cures. Now if your door brace is tight, and your skin is tight.. I am sure you can imagine what will happen. It will create a large bulge on the exterior panel. Do not use a product that isn't intended for that exact purpose. Duramix is some AMAZING stuff. 4040 is a glue all for almost anything you can imagine, they have smc fiber glass glues, door skin glues, large panel glues, and so on. The initial cost of the gun sucks but you will use it again and again.. seam sealers.......

-
Back