exterior trim

-

moparclown

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the trim is made of?I was cleaning some trim here the other night and realized with a magnet that the window trim that I thought was stainless can't be stainless because its magnetic.So when that happened I checked a bunch of trim I had in my playroom from a 70 Challenger and a bunch of 71 Cuda trim and all the thin trim for the 71 Cuda grille,back window corners was magnetic and the only pieces that were not magnetic were the 2 SE pieces from the top/back of the Challenger fenders.

Attachments

• 000_2568.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 000_2553.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 000_2554.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 000_2556.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 118
I used to work at a company that made (among other things) fertilizer handling equipment. The fetiliizer could be corrosive so there was the option to have the equipment made out of stainless steel. We had 2 grades of stainless. I think we referred to them as 304 & 409. As I recall, a magnet would stick to one of them, although not nearly as well as normal steel alloys. I think it was the 409 but that was about 25 years ago & my memory ain't what it used to be.

Well, a lot of time it's anodized aluminum, and due to the high alloy content, most trim grade stainless isn't magnetic. Pot metal either. Thats my guess and I'm stickin' to it!!!LOL!! Geof

I used to work at a company that made (among other things) fertilizer handling equipment. The fetiliizer could be corrosive so there was the option to have the equipment made out of stainless steel. We had 2 grades of stainless. I think we referred to them as 304 & 409. As I recall, a magnet would stick to one of them, although not nearly as well as normal steel alloys. I think it was the 409 but that was about 25 years ago & my memory ain't what it used to be.
That makes sense
Does anyone know who made the trim parts for Chrysler back in the day?
Doug

Doug, some stainless is slightly magnetic, due to the carbon content. It depends on the type of stainless used. 304, 316, etc. etc.

-
Back