external oil pick up

-

kocuda

Reaction score
Ok guys, I purchased the Milodon external oil pick up system. Pump, hose, pick up, not cheap. I thought I could install the pick up into te Milodon oil pan I have, but long story short, I cant, so I need to buy a $255 dollar oil pan which pushes the cost of this whole thing over $600 for parts.

Is it really worth the money?
I already have the Melling high volume pump and the 1/2 inch pick up and a Milodon 7 qt pan. I'm running synthetic oil and my pressure at idle when hot is 45psi, at 6K rpms is 85psi.
Am I just being too carefull.

Engine is a 30 over, 12.5 to 1, solid cammed 440 that does hit 7000rpms on occasion when I'm playing.

Need some imput before I spend $$'s I dont need to.

I agree with you Mr Hemi, but just how many of all my big block brothers out there are actually using the external pick up system? And if not, why not?

Why can't you use the pan you have? I got a pan from source one for 80.00 and drilled the hole in it myself. MAde my own system with parts. Maybe not the cheapest system, but I would rather have more oil than not enough.

Dodgeguy101, The pan I have is kicked out on the sides (angled) no way to install the pick up and have in set level with the bottom of the oil pan.

Find a good welder and cut a portion out to make it straight. You may have a few dollars in it, but I would think it may be cheaper than new pan. But I see what you are saying. You try to do what is right and the things you have to do to get there. SOmetimes overwhelming, but just think of the final product. Worth the trouble.

bit the bullet and just ordered the Milodon pan set up for the external pick, called Milodon and they said it should all fit fine in my 67 fastback. We will see!!!!!!!!!!
At least I saved 15 percent with the Summit code YA!!!! $38 bucks saved helps!
Looks like more work, I know I'm gonna have to notch the frame rail to get the system to fit!!

KEEP US POSTED ON THE INSTALL, pic's would be nice. I have the same system and order the deep pan when I bought it and I don't have the ground clearance for it so I'm in the same boat got to order a new pan too.

440 source has some nice looking pans that are not overly priced that should work..also has a swing oil set up a little cheaper then most....before i get bashed of cheap china junk as some like to call it guy i know has been 5.00's with a source kit,timing gear set and main caps,and girdle so it does work...my 512 or whatever i build will come from there, most likely...mike oh yea pan and ext. swing pick up,and all:read2:

I dont know. I think it's overkill. but it sounds like you got it like 90% done so backin out now would be kinda stupid. I've see doods runnin at the strip 9K with nearbout stock oilin systems that last quite a while. Sounds like you might as well finish it up though.

A friend bought a used bracket 440 off a fellow for $1,500. It had a large solid in it, and the guys shift point was 6,800 Rpms. It had been bracket raced for 4 years, and had been in a Roadrunner with a 6-71 blower for years before that. (13 years old when my friend got it. When I pulled it down to freshen it, I almost left the bearings in it, they looked fine. 1/2" pickup, HV pump, plain old deep Milodon pan. You'll have a nice setup when done, but I bet it would have been fine as is.

-
Back