Externally balanced engine....TQ Converter Q?

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm to the point where I'm ready to send some stuff to the machine shop to have the rotating assembly balanced.

It's an externally balanced 440.

My understanding is that everything that spins needs to be brought in:

1. Pistons/Pins
2. Rods
3. Crank (cast in my case)
4. Harmonic Balancer
5. Flex plate
6. Torque Converter

So heres my question:
I'm planning on buying a XMSN/Torque Converter combo from Phoenix transmission for about 1600....I'm not to the point where I can buy this right now. I have my factory torque converter (weighted). Can I use this converter for balancing purposes?? Are all converters weighted the same?? Everything I've read indicated that for balancing purposes weight is added/removed from crank....so a weighted TQ is a weighted TQ...right?? or wrong??

Thanks,
Jason

Morning all,

I'm to the point where I'm ready to send some stuff to the machine shop to have the rotating assembly balanced.

It's an externally balanced 440.

My understanding is that everything that spins needs to be brought in:

... Can I use this converter for balancing purposes?? Are all converters weighted the same?? Everything I've read indicated that for balancing purposes weight is added/removed from crank....so a weighted TQ is a weighted TQ...right?? or wrong??

Thanks,
Jason

I would say no. I'd use a weighted flex plate and an internally balanced converter. If you cannot get a weighted flex plate for your converter then have them balance what you have, minus the torque converter. Everything has tolerances and you may be balancing to a tolerance on one side and your new converter may be on the opposite side. However in reality, if everything is balanced correctly you should be good to go. Double check with the guy doing the balancing for you. It always surprises me what is off, and by how much, when I get things balanced.

What are you getting for 1600?

727 and 904 transmissions are a breeze to build.

external balance the crank is cast, damper has offset to it... then either the flexplate or torque converter has offset (not both)
so you use aftermarket neutral converter with aftermarket offset flexplate (b&m)

or

you use stock torque converter (has weights) and the stock neutral flexplate

you can get an after market neutral torque converter and mount weights on it if you can find someone that has that kind of knowhow. that allows you to use the stock flexplate

your best off doing what most people do is get the neutral balanced torque converter and the b&m flexplate with the offset notch

What are you getting for 1600? 727 and 904 transmissions are a breeze to build.

THIS IS FROM THEIR WEBSITE. I've considered attempting a rebuild myself as I've read it's fairly straightforward. The 1600 price includes a converter....plus they're local. The thought of doing it myself, dicking it up is worth peace of mind of having someone else do it.
#PT727SS

This is a great transmission for warmed up street machines and trucks with up to 450HP. This transmission features increased capacity clutch packs, 4 pinion front planetary, high performance band lever, performance valve body, performance Intermediate band and a host of other performance and durability modifications. Comes with our Torque Max torque converter in stall speeds up to 2600RPM.

Yes, I take it you have a cast crank? Some HP 440's had forged cranks and heavy rods also. I am not as familiar with 440's to know if the offset balance is the same. Now with an internally balanced TC you can use it on any 6 bolt crank Mopar engine.

Yes, cast crank that's been inspected and is std.
I've got six pack rods and yj rods. I'm leaning towards YJ....but the six pacs have arp bolts already installed and are full floaters (not that it matter much to me....just sounds cool)

external balance the crank is cast, damper has offset to it... then either the flexplate or torque converter has offset (not both) so you use aftermarket neutral converter with aftermarket offset flexplate (b&m) or you use stock torque converter (has weights) and the stock neutral flexplate you can get an after market neutral torque converter and mount weights on it if you can find someone that has that kind of knowhow. that allows you to use the stock flexplate your best off doing what most people do is get the neutral balanced torque converter and the b&m flexplate with the offset notch

I think this is what I'll do. That way I can get on with balancing and building my engine. THANKS!!

-
Back