Extra water temp sensor location

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a slant 6 with FiTech 4bbl TBI. I put the FiTech water temp sensor at the head near the thermostat. I also put another temp sensor, for my temp gauge in the dash, on the passenger side of the block, there is a threaded plug down on the side rear of the oil pump that accesses the water jacket.

I'm going to use the FiTech unit on my 360 Magnum, is there a similar threaded plug somewhere where I can install the extra water temp sensor? Pics are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks all, I found an old thread on this, looks like a water neck spacer with 3/8 NPT holes for extra sensor is the way to go, right?

Depends on your intake manifold, Edelbrock Air Gaps and RPM’s at least have two threaded take offs instead of one at the front of the intake next to the thermostat housing. They’re different sizes, usually I just plugged the larger one but now I use it for my aftermarket temperature gauge and to run my electric fan controller.

Thanks all, I found an old thread on this, looks like a water neck spacer with 3/8 NPT holes for extra sensor is the way to go, right
Keep in mind that any temp sensor in the thermostat area will be slow to show temp, the thermostat has to open before water circulates past the temp puckup

Thanks, I think maybe my build has an Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold. I'll wait to see what I have...thanks for the info.

Regarding Dana67Dart's comment regarding slow response because of the thermostat, on my slant, the temp sensor down behind the oil pump was likely giving me a lower reading than if it were at the thermostat. That's fine, so long as it is consistent. The FiTech TBI's sensor was on the head, just prior to the thermostat housing, so it was accurate. I only need the dash cluster temp gauge to be consistent, I can use the "real" reading from the thermostat area sensor for actual temps, I can correlate with the dash temp gauge. Once I have that correlation, I need only see that the dash temp gauge is consistent over time, watch for anomalies.

Yeah, it would be better if the 360 had an access point prior to the thermostat...don't those 1" thermostat spacers move the thermostat up 1" and put the sensor before (under) the thermostat? Do the Edelbrock manifolds put the sensor prior to the thermostat?

brian

If you want a good place for a temp sensor the bypass hose or supply side of the heater hose ( assuming it does not have a shutoff ) always have coolant passing past them.

My Air-gap clone intake has a 3/8"npt (I think) bung on the back of the driver side intake flange into the rear coolant port, and two more on the front crossover below the t-stat.

You do realize of course that in order to be accurate, the temp sender for the gauge needs to be as close to the thermostat as possible.

-
Back