F%$king black walnut tree....

-

forced 340

Reaction score
just wanted to know if there was a way to make a black walnut to NOT produce its walnuts??? i cant afford to get it cut down so i am trying to think of other options... someone gave me copper screws and told me to screw them into the exposed roots and base of the tree but he said it might kill the tree... let me know your ideas and thoughts! thanks!!!!

dont kill the tree dude. black walnuts are one of my favorites!
provide shade for you, food for squirrels, place for birds to hang out, good for tree swings, and probably the best furniture wood there is. good for firewood too though.

anyways, trees are easy to kill if you want. all of the food/water is carried in the bark. if you cut a 1/2" ring out of the bark all the way around any tree it will be dead in a few days.

i need it to stop dropping tennis ball sized walnuts EVERYWHERE!!! i have a son that has a VERY rare bleeding disorder called Hemophilia. if he gets hit in the head with one he can suffer major internal bleeding in the head/brain. the walnuts were so bad this year, we couldnt allow him in the back yard to play. the tree is 175+ years old and massive! i love the shade it gives off, but hate the falling doom that it produces..

You really want it to die? I hate killin stuff, but we ARE on top and sometimes it's necessary. It is on your property after all, regardless of what some might say. It's very simple. Get about a 2" hole saw. Cut several holes around the base of the trunk angled up. Pour 100% Roundup in the holes everyday for as long as it takes. It won't take long. Hope nothing's in the way.

We have sweetgum trees down here. I have done that before to a few of those with great success. I feel your pain.

People will remove a tree like that for free, you just need to find someone looking for that wood.

My neighbor just had 5 Oak trees fall in a storm. They found a local company that works in Oak, gave them a call and made a deal.

It was a simple deal.... Come out and get these trees out of my yard and you can have all the wood for free.

People are looking for walnut and many would jump at the opportunity to get that much and be able to control it's cut length.

You really want it to die? I hate killin stuff, but we ARE on top and sometimes it's necessary. It is on your property after all, regardless of what some might say. It's very simple. Get about a 2" hole saw. Cut several holes around the base of the trunk angled up. Pour 100% Roundup in the holes everyday for as long as it takes. It won't take long. Hope nothing's in the way.

We have sweetgum trees down here. I have done that before to a few of those with great success. I feel your pain.

All three of these will do it.
Copper
Bark cut
Roundup

All three will kill the tree, not just stop the walnuts.

i dont really want to kill it. like i said the shade is great! i love the tree just not the nuts.... if it takes killing it to protect my son from danger than i guess thats what has to happen.

Could you rig up some kind of net to catch them and let them roll off to the side? Anything you do to control the growth of the nuts might kill it. Talk to an arborist.

You could be industrious, gather the nuts and sell them at the local farmers market.

i need it to stop dropping tennis ball sized walnuts EVERYWHERE!!! i have a son that has a VERY rare bleeding disorder called Hemophilia. if he gets hit in the head with one he can suffer major internal bleeding in the head/brain. the walnuts were so bad this year, we couldnt allow him in the back yard to play. the tree is 175+ years old and massive! i love the shade it gives off, but hate the falling doom that it produces..
Its not as rare as you think it is.

As far as the tree goes, why not just pick the walnuts off?

I understand your delima and not wanting to kill the tree, if you end up getting to the point it has to go a tree like that will bring a pretty penny, possibly a few grand for the wood depending how straight and big of round it is. Call around to some mills or furniture makers if you have them close by. Most of the time they are not interested in urban trees but if it's that old and has decent height before limbs you might be surprised... Can't hurt to try.

i have tried to give them away in boxes, told people to come over and take what they want, and i just cant seem to give them away! lol! i cant just pick them either... the tree has to be close to 100' tall and spans out my entire back yard.

I post this for interest sake and knowing how much truffle can sell for. But your sons health and well being is number one priority.

"Also known as the "Black Diamond", The Black Truffle, grows exclusively under oak and walnut trees. Generally they can be found in late autumn and winter, reaching 7cm in diameter and weighing up to 100g. These truffles have a mild and delicate flavor with hazelnut notes and a light aroma. The skin has a pyramidal scale and it's flesh goes from grayish to black with thin white veins when mature. Available November to March. Italy produces approximately 20% of the worlds black truffle"

Until you decide what to do with the tree can you provide your son a hard hat for playing in the backyard. Maybe a bicycle helmet. Yeah hanging out under a tree wondering if a baseball is going to hit your head would be crazy even a person without the issue your son has. Maybe some kind of shade cover would be good. I know I would want that to drop on my head or my car.

Make a nice table.

...one of the gun companies will probably pay a premium for a tree like that.
i have carved a few gun stocks and black walnut can be very beautiful.

Until you decide what to do with the tree can you provide your son a hard hat for playing in the backyard. Maybe a bicycle helmet. Yeah hanging out under a tree wondering if a baseball is going to hit your head would be crazy even a person without the issue your son has. Maybe some kind of shade cover would be good. I know I would want that to drop on my head or my car.

Make a nice table.

that is what we have been doing. he wears a cap for normal playtime but a hard bike helmet whenever out in the yard. thanks!

Here's another option. Advertise the tree. Put an ad in the paper. "Free Black Walnut Tree. I need it gone but I don't want to kill it. Pay to move it after season, and it's yours. High producer. Come see for yourself."

Most people assume that trees are permanent. They are not. I have two friends in Macon with a tree business that have a tree mover. They dig out around all of the main roots and roll up to it and grab it with a giant padded claw.

The claw locks on and the tree is gently rocked until the tap root and larger roots break free and they move the whole frikkin thing. I've seen it in action. And I am talkin with a BIG 100 plus year oak. I would have called bullshit until I saw it.

It takes more than a day and sometimes they have to trim the tree to get it out of where it is. As long as it is done out of the tree's season, it will recover and come back strong as ever in its new location. It usually takes a season or two to recover completely. No, you guessed it. It AIN'T CHEAP. But there are people out there who love trees enough that they would pay to move it just to own it. Just a thought.

Their truck is similar to this, but a LOT bigger. LOL

Attachments

• TREE TRUCK.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 327
-
Back