F35 Stealth Fighters.

-

Aussiemopars

Reaction score
Well it looks like we are getting the F35 Down Under, which was part of a previous deal done with Lockheed Martin. The last lot of fighter planes we got were ok but outdated when the Australian government bought them but we had to buy those then so that we could get the option to buy these new ones.
So what are they like? Are they any good? Feel free to voice opinions.

http://www.news.com.au/national/fed...er-jets-for-raaf/story-fncynjr2-1226892633234

Canada has cancelled most of our order and we are looking at other options , the price went through the roof , delivery has been delayed a dozen times and the testing hasn`t proved the planes to be all they were promised to be , we got scammed the same way on the older planes and our normally US butt kissing Conservative government has had to do some serious back tracking on both this deal and the replacement program for the Sea King helicopters .Hey you Aussie`s need any subs , we got a couple from Briton that you can have real cheap , they look real nice in dry dock and burn underwater like nothing you`ve ever seen eh LOL .We took em as part of the final payment of the Brit`s WW2 debt .

I see em ripping out of Joint base Hickam almost every day. Nice plane!

edit- my bad, Hickam flies the yf-22

Hey you Aussie`s need any subs , we got a couple from Briton that you can have real cheap , they look real nice in dry dock and burn underwater like nothing you`ve ever seen eh LOL .We took em as part of the final payment of the Brit`s WW2 debt .

I'll see your WW2 subs and raise you 5 Collins class subs that we paid a squillion dollars for and are completely useless.:hello2:

These aren't WW2 subs we bought them about 12 years ago so but they have spent almost all their time in dry dock , 1 caught fire on the way over from the UK and another caught fire on a test run .They are Upholder Class subs that we reclassed as Victoria Class , the only thing that goes down faster than a Canadian sub is a Sea King helo man those things were/are junk .Isn't it great buying the left over crap from our so called Allies ?

I used to work on the ec-130j's and Lockheed has all the information that you need when the technical orders are lacking as proprietary info that the U.S. has to buy. What a ton of c,,,!

The multi-role fighter idea has never worked, F-4 not withstanding.

It's like rebuilding an engine with a crescent wrench. And when that doesn't work out well, redesigning the engine so it can more easily be rebuilt with a crescent wrench.

Like anything else, cars included, when the technology is cutting edge, the problems are numerous. About the time the bugs are worked out, the product is obsolete. Those who stuck around to work out the bugs will have fond memories, while those who only saw the problems without the fixes will likely curse it forever.

When the USAF began flying F-16s, the Canadian Forces interceptor mainstay was the F-101, a post Korean war design. They were reliable and inexpensive...and fast...but limited in their capability. They served Canada well, but would not have been capable outside of their NORAD mission.

The wisdom, or folly, of buying a new aircraft design is a judgment call based on a political view of the Australia's future military role in the world, and there really isn't a more capable airplane available if that role requires the best.

C130 Chief makes a good point. In the 1960s, the TFX was cancelled because the Navy needed heavy landing gear and folding wings for carrier operation, while the Air Force wanted a lighter airplane that could fly farther and longer, and carry a bigger bomb load. The expensive compromise satisfied neither service. The mission should dictate the design, not vice versa, so with the long lead time to design and develop weapons systems, the politicians better be very sure of future missions.

The multi-role fighter idea has never worked, F-4 not withstanding.

It's like rebuilding an engine with a crescent wrench. And when that doesn't work out well, redesigning the engine so it can more easily be rebuilt with a crescent wrench.

F-18 has replaced the tomcat, intruder and crusader in the USN

The old F1-11 was a hell of a work horse for us.....had good range, good speed, good load carrying capacity, and was capable at low speeds too.
They just got old.....I think we've had them from about 1965 (?) to recently....about 2012 (?).
And, if I'm payin for one of those F35's, I want a damn joy flight for free.

-
Back