" Fabo Car "

-

Small Block

Reaction score
OK you gurus in this forum. We want your help building the car. Frame connectors a must we know. What other mods are necessary to achive the 12 sec car this group is building? Ideas on the front end? Set up? Modifications? School us please. How much of the uneeded inner body can we do away with for weight reduction?

You shouldnt need much to go 12s. Some adjustable shocks, SS springs and a pinion snubber. Dont get cared away with the hole saw.

My question would fit here as well:
I'm wanting a sub 12 second 1/4 car. I've got a 76 440 from a motor home, freshened up with new gaskets/bearings. Replaced the cam, but I don't have the specs here at work (I want to say Comp 303 duration?). I know it's big, but it was a good deal and I'll "grow" into it. Stock 452 heads for right now with single plane aluminum intake. That's everything that I have as of right now.
What's on my "pickup" list is a 750dp Holley carb with a Carter fuel pump. A set of Hooker fenderwell headers and 3-3.5" exhaust. It'll be an automatic car with a 727 trans and maybe a 2k stall for now (just to get the car moving). Hopefully a b-body 8 3/4" rear that local to go under it with 3.91 gears. I've already got a set of 265/75R15 tires, just need wheels to match the rear.
The rear will be mini-tubbed in the new future also. I have the steel to do the subframe connectors. The interior is going to be gutted, it's shot anyway. It's originally a AC/PS car, but I'm ditching both of those, I'm wanting to keep the heater around though for cruise nights.

Any more recommendations?

My question would fit here as well:
I'm wanting a sub 12 second 1/4 car. I've got a 76 440 from a motor home, freshened up with new gaskets/bearings. Replaced the cam, but I don't have the specs here at work (I want to say Comp 303 duration?). I know it's big, but it was a good deal and I'll "grow" into it. Stock 452 heads for right now with single plane aluminum intake. That's everything that I have as of right now.
What's on my "pickup" list is a 750dp Holley carb with a Carter fuel pump. A set of Hooker fenderwell headers and 3-3.5" exhaust. It'll be an automatic car with a 727 trans and maybe a 2k stall for now (just to get the car moving). Hopefully a b-body 8 3/4" rear that local to go under it with 3.91 gears. I've already got a set of 265/75R15 tires, just need wheels to match the rear.
The rear will be mini-tubbed in the new future also. I have the steel to do the subframe connectors. The interior is going to be gutted, it's shot anyway. It's originally a AC/PS car, but I'm ditching both of those, I'm wanting to keep the heater around though for cruise nights.

Any more recommendations?

MORE CONVERTER!
A bigger carb depending on how hard you turn it.
I bet it's a comp 305H.

265/75 tires? You'll benefit from some good drag oriented tires.

Spend time understanding the front/rear suspension and what it takes to make a car hook at the track. You can spend thousands on an engine/trans but if it doesn't hook... you aren't going anywhere.

Front end: Tubular control arms, no splash shields on disk brakes, 6 cyl torsion bars, 90/10 uplock shocks.

Set toe in at 0. This will nearly eliminate self-centering of the steering but will reduce drag the front wheels down the strip. Some might recommend max negative camber, but if street driven, this will trash the front tires quickly. In any event, bump front air pressure to max before play remembering to lower it to recommended levels after things cool off and you're ready to come home.

If the car has a front anti-roll bar, remove it. This is purely a weight consideration. It will reduce enjoyment on the street as body will roll more in turns.

Suggest electric fan that can be shut-off during runs. Remember to restart fan ASAP after run.

My first thought on converter was 3000-3200rpm, above I was merely stating what I'll have to start with. That isn't going to be my end result, however I want to get it on the road.
My intake has a 4150 flange on it. Would a 1050cfm carb be too big? I don't plan on going over maybe 5500-6000rpms for now. So, maybe I'll be ok with a 750 for a while? I also have a set of electric fans from a past vehicle that I'll be using.
It's a /6 car to start with, BBP with disk brakes. The torsion bars and disc brakes are already there. I'll just need to change the shocks. In the rear, I have the hardware to make a set of caltracs already, so that's what I'll be running. Will worn out /6 leafs work with that combo? I mean I literally have everything to make caltracs; 1/4 plate steel, heims, DOM tubing etc.
All I'm really lacking here is more stall, more carb and finishing out the suspension?

OK you gurus in this forum. We want your help building the car. Frame connectors a must we know. What other mods are necessary to achive the 12 sec car this group is building? Ideas on the front end? Set up? Modifications? School us please. How much of the uneeded inner body can we do away with for weight reduction?
I agree with Adam, you shouldn't need much to achieve 12's. Check out "Small Block "A" Engines" PN: P4876826 Page 32. Highlights include:

Reducing weight to 3,300lbs
Set toe to zero
Shift kit
Clamping the rear of the springs
Pinion snubber
4.10 axle ratio.

I would get a good adjustable shock for front and rear, of course the subframe connectors and putting the battery in the trunk.

SS springs aren't even mentioned till you want to go 12.0 and then of course the pinion snubber is no longer required.

Not alot required really.

I'll just need to change the shocks. In the rear, I have the hardware to make a set of caltracs already, so that's what I'll be running. Will worn out /6 leafs work with that combo? I mean I literally have everything to make caltracs; 1/4 plate steel, heims, DOM tubing etc.
All I'm really lacking here is more stall, more carb and finishing out the suspension?

That's a good start for the rear. Get some good shocks for the rear. The rancho 9 ways are good when using a Cal-tack style set up.

I did the same thing. Built my own shock plates and force bars. Got the cantilevers from a friend that had a spare set.

I just need to build the cantilever plates. I had all the other stuff left over from a big 4x4 truck that I built. I'll probably just pull the /6 leafs apart, clean them up and put new bushings in. I might swap a leaf or two from some other leaf packs I have to get some of the ride height back.

-
Back