fabrication of body parts

-

68gts340

Reaction score
has any one here made their own body parts or patch panels ? if so how did it turn out and what tools were needed?
the reason i'm asking is the parts for my 40 coupe are not available,and to cut them out ,ship them to be copied and return shipping is pretty expensive, and i still have to fit and install them. so what do you think, is this worth trying or just bite the bullet and pay , pay, pay ???

With a welder, diegrinder, good set of vise grips, a good hammer and dolly set, good set of tin snips and a flanging tool you can do pretty much anything to any body pannels you would need to. Its just metal!

Actually you dont even have to be able to weld anymore. Panel Bond is a glue that will stick body panels together. If you have a half decent set of tools small panels are really fun to build. I am replacing the floors in my dart now, I am welding them. I do have a couple of panels on the outside where overheating (due to welding) could ruin the apperance of the car. I will use Panel Bond on it. However to use Panel Bond you must have a backing piece or a flange (crimping) tool. Pratice on some scrap metal and have some fun.

man if the rodders way back in the day could do custom work and make those gnarly knuckle scraper hot rods
why couldnt you do it with today's technology advancements to boot?

Most guys are leary of trying it, especially on thier babies (A-BODIES). I was fortunate enough to start learning to build panels on a 31 Ford Rat Rod. Point being, just pick up a few hammers and start beating on a peice of sheet metal youll be surprised what you can form up after you get the hang of it. I love doing it now. I learned some seriously kool tricks along the way.
Like how to fix oil canning by heating the bulge then quickly cooling it with a wet rag. It takes the oil canning affect away! I was soooooo happy when it worked on my fender that was work hardened and oil canning near the bumper. Dont be scared guys its very rewarding to pull something off like
that!

Like I said, It's just metal! It's not like wood where if you cut off too much your screwed. Anything you do to it can be fixed so no worries.

-
Back