Face Book and the Purple Heart

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
My father and some other vets from the neighbourhood were the founding members of their American Legion Hall, it was named after a young man from the neighbourhood KIA. The members starting out with meetings in the church hall and eventually bought a building
My brother and I were having this conversation just recently. I may have posted about it once before so forgive me
The story goes that the Posts had the guys Purple Heart, im thinking it must have been framed and hanging on the wall.
My dad was a past commander of the post and always active there
. The years passed and who moved, who died, at some point the building was sold, the post disbanded.
After my father died 17 years ago my brother discovered the Purple Heart in a box of my fathers personal things. From what we can piece together from talking to other surviving members was my dad took it when the building was sold with the intention of finding family of this solder and giving them the medal. The brothers of the Solider were now all dead and my dad tried to find someone, eventually he got sick and the medal wound up in a box on a shelf
More time passed, I made a effort and couldn't locate anyone but at some point, years ago my brother posted about this on Face Book and someone he knew from many years ago messaged him, she had a friend with the same last name of the recipient of the Purple Heart
Turns out that my brother located the great nephew of the the young brave solider who gave his life in WW2 for our country
The guy was overwhelmed when he came to my brothers house to retrieve his great uncles Purple Heart and now it is were it belongs

That is an awesome story. Glad it made its way home and god bless everyone involved for never giving up on those who gave everything for us

-
Back