Factory 318 roller cam lifter orientation help!

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm refreshing a 1988, 318 roller cam engine. All stock. I didn't pay any kind when I tore it down which way the lifters go. There are 8 lifters that have holes in the sides of the lifters. 8 do not. Which way does the lifters go? Hole front? Hole back? On the intake or exhaust lobes? My 87 FSM has nothing on the roller cams, just flat tappet. Can anyone help?
20200416_153341.jpg

20200416_153405.jpg

and the ones with holes parallel to the roller axis i put these in towards the front of the engine....usually the front is a little higher, helps with bleeding the air off.

So pardon my ignorance on this, but place the oil holes towards the front of engine, but does it matter in which lifter bore? Should I place on the front lifter bore of each cyl? Intake lobe, exhaust lobe, or all 8 with oil holes in the front 4 cylinders? Sorry, I'm a little baffled about this.

It does not matter if intake or exhaust or which cylinder. The lifters with bleed holes parallel to Roller axis install bleed hole towards front, lifters with bleed holes 90 degree to Roller axis install bleed holes toward camshaft.

Got it. I put my glasses on and saw the bleed hole. I have 2 style lifters as you can see. I was hyperfocused on the lifters that had the groove and hole, that I missed the other lifters that has the bleed hole on the underside of it.
Thank you!!

-
Back