Factory AC or aftermarket ? Suggestions please

-

swingin408

newb....kinda
Reaction score
Hi fellas . I haven't posted in a bit but I have recently acquired a 73 swinger chassis to replace my rusted out 74. My 74 did not have AC but this new chassis had all the factory AC parts in the trunk .
Is it worth re-installing the factory system ? Will it cool down this Texas heat or should I just go aftermarket down the road. I'd love some opinions and keep in mind I have no desire to keep anything original . It's already altered quite a bit .
Any suggestions before i start reading the factory manual and un-tieing all these vacuum hoses that

I'm guessing that the 73 had an RV type compressor pump. If so, I'd consider replacing it with a modern Sanden type. Not that the RVs weren't good pumps, they are. But they're heavy! And getting harder to find parts for, like the front seal.

As for the interior, I'd go with the stock heater a/c box, vents controls, etc. It makes for a nice clean install. Some of the aftermarket set ups look kind of weird imo.

Also you may want to step up to a larger condensor in the front of the car if you're going to run 134 refrigerant. Personally I think the best of both worlds is an modern sanden compressor (brackets are available) with upgraded condensor and factory everything else.

Polar Bear Inc. Was really helpful when I was doing my upgrade
Polar Bear Inc. Webstore

Best,

CE

What I did in exactly the same scenario (Except it was Dusters) is I rebuilt the factory AC box with a kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies and installed that under the dash. I'm not quite there yet, but my plan is to install modern components under the hood to work with the original box. These parts are available as a kit from several vendors, but I am trying to piece my own kit together and save a buck. The main thing according to my buddy that is an AC tech and a Journeyman mechanic is to ensure the condenser is sized properly and it should handle that Texas heat no problem. I hopefully am building a future Power Tour car so it will need to handle that southern heat too.

Cley

Fantastic ! Looks like I'll be cleaning up this airbox ! Thanks for some quick replies before I install the dash.

What was involved in the airbox rebuild ? I don't see parts on their website I'd like to find out what was replaced before I look around
Thank you btw

What I did in exactly the same scenario (Except it was Dusters) is I rebuilt the factory AC box with a kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies and installed that under the dash. I'm not quite there yet, but my plan is to install modern components under the hood to work with the original box. These parts are available as a kit from several vendors, but I am trying to piece my own kit together and save a buck. The main thing according to my buddy that is an AC tech and a Journeyman mechanic is to ensure the condenser is sized properly and it should handle that Texas heat no problem. I hopefully am building a future Power Tour car so it will need to handle that southern heat too.

Cley

I'm going with an under the dash unit from restomod air.

Their stuff is sharp . I'm on the fence now after looking at the condition of my box and the missing blower ...
That is why i contacted them, that and by no longer have the blower motor in my engine compartment, more room for my 440, meaning more valve cover options.

Sounds like you have your answer from your statement above.^^^^^ Just go with new parts and sell off the old to someone that wants original.
I'm going with Classic Auto Air in my 68 Valiant.I did sell off all the original parts. My heater-A/C box came out in several pieces when I went to replace the heater core.

What was involved in the airbox rebuild ? I don't see parts on their website I'd like to find out what was replaced before I look around
Thank you btw

My box was in pieces when I got it from the previous owner. I ordered the DMT kit which includes mostly foam and sealing material, but It has a set of instructions that are so good it made my reassembly easy. There are no vacuum actuators in the kit, but I found that all mine were good anyway.

Cley

-
Back