Factory anti-sway swap???

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Anyone tried to put a 73 disk brake set up on a 65 K member? Upper, lower and spindles.
Pretty sure no problem there.
And will the factory sway bar work too?
That’s my real question. Seems like I remember reading that the 65 is narrower. Or am I imagining something?

the upr/lwr arms, spindles, etc will all fit. the sway bar won't. it is too wide. 67-76 cars are the same width.

Yep you need an Adco or a Firmfeel unit.
I think there are a few others out there for an Early A body, but everything else is a snap!

I’m shopping for a Barracuda for Junior. He seems to prefer the 65-66 but I will try for a 67-69.
I have the factory stuff already is why.
Thanks for the info

The later sway bar goes through the K-frame. The earlier ones go in front of the K-frame, so there is no opening for the later bar to go through or mount.
This is a Challenger, but the style is the same as the later A-body sway bar setup.
70ChallengerLeftWheel2.jpg

Ahhhhh. Important point.
So "later" is 67 forward?
Or is "later" 73 forward?
If "later" is 73 forward I'm sunk for an A body Cuda if I want to use my factory bar.

id bet 67 and later is later. it seems that was the turning point as far as interchangability

3 OEM styles: 64-66, 67-72, 73-76. 64-66 were unique, narrow K-Member bars. 67-72 bars mounted in front of the K-Member and the tabs on the LCA were low and to the outside. 73-76 bars were routed inside the K-Member and the tabs were higher and inboard on the LCA to clear front mount calipers. The 67-72 can be fitted to a later car if the early LCA's are used and mounts are fabbed (although caliper interference may be a factor). There is no practical way to mount the late bar to the early car. The 64-66 bar is its own animal plain and simple.

If it's a barracuda you want, I've got a 67 convertible that is a great car for starters, I have it listed in A-bodies for sale. Asking $12,500, but serious offers do not offend me. 205-908-0868 (non-school hours, I am a teacher) or [email protected]

I have a '73 up sway bar in my '72 Scamp. It passes thru the k-frame just like the pic of the e-body. My '72 Duster also has the opening in the k-frame and it will also get a '73 up sway bar I have as soon as I make the LCA brackets. These cars may be the exception and not the rule but somewere in '67-'72 cars they opened up the k-rame to accept a sway bar.

Chuck

-
Back