factory console. Cast aluminum? Powder Coat?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys, well I just got my 67-69 factory console today that I bought off of good old ebay. I had no idea these were cast aluminum. I picked the box up and was very surprised at the wieght.
So my question is, has anyone powder coated one of these?
I am considering blasting it and powdering it, but I know that all metals have residual stresses in them and I obviously dont want it to warp. So any body tried this?
Also I was going to make a new top plate out of some very cool corugated stainless steel sheet that I have, but again the top plate (chrome / argent) is metal also. I think it may hold its shape with out any problems because of its complex shape. So I may just powder coat that to make it fresh looking.

Gimme' some feed back guys thx :headbang:

I am surprised that nobody has responded to this post! I was looking closely at a little damaged spot on my console and realized it is not aluminum! It looks to be fiberglass or something composite like.
Just realized I was wrong, and surprisedd that nobody caught it!
lata'

I'm also in the process of putting a 4 spd console in my Demon. Are you saying the base of the console is not fibreglas? I have to fix the rear corner chip.

-
Back