factory disc brakes

-

thestover

Reaction score
Hi I own an original 69 340 dart swinger with power disk brakes Last year I rebuilt complete brake system with all new parts and had the original master cylinder and power booster rebuilt ,basically like factory new. The car stops great but seems to have no pedal, has anyone ever had this happen or have any tips? Let me know Thanks Steve

Hi I own an original 69 340 dart swinger with power disk brakes Last year I rebuilt complete brake system with all new parts and had the original master cylinder and power booster rebuilt ,basically like factory new. The car stops great but seems to have no pedal, has anyone ever had this happen or have any tips? Let me know Thanks Steve

Sorry I'm not familiar with the term "no petal", is that like she wants to stop with very little pedal movement?

It feels like you hardly have to touch pedal,no back pressure? Stops well?

Dam, you must have a ton of engine vacuum for brakes that strong. I don't see a problem as long as they're not dragging. I wish my past projects had that good a brakes but I always sacrificed strong brakes for big assed cams.

Terry

I had a 1969 Dart 340 Swinger with the factory power brakes - KH discs.

I too replaced the master cylinder and had the power brake booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey out on the West Coast (advertised back in the '90s in many Mopar magazines and Hemmings).

I had the exact same issue; Super hard brake pedal and no travel of the pedal, but the car stopped great.

I ended up replacing the master cylinder a second time, bench bled the new master, and the brake feel and pedal travel was vastly improved.

BTW Rich Ehrenberg( the builder/owner of the Green Brick) sells a lightweight alum. master cylinder that supposedly works great, he advertises on another Mopar website.

Google Rick and you can email him. He writes for Mopar Action.

Good luck with that 340 Swinger!

Its funny you mention that I had the original engine rebuilt also and put in a comp cam xtreme energy with 460/470 lift. Nice cam really turns on and just put on a new holley with mechanical secondaries. Had a carb guy set it up and he measured 11 inches of vacum? Do you think thats what it is? Cars in storage cant wait to drive it soon.

I always thought that was nature of the beast for early disc brakes. My earliest memory of power disc brakes was uncles 62 Bonneville. Just a light touch of the pedal would send you toward to windshield.

-
Back