Factory fuse block replacement

-

sl7732

73 Swinger
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for a new fuse block (or viable replacement) for a 73 V8 Dart?
The original one has some melted fuse holders which were bypassed by previous owner and I wanted to get it back to a safe condition. I have been searching local wrecker yards but no luck on a good "genuine" replacment.

Thanks

I had the same issue on my Duster and I went to Napa and got two universal fuse blocks. One for constant 12V and one for switched. This also swapped the glass fuses our for the larger ATO blade type fuses which are easier to find and it also gave me more circuits to add accessories.

unfortunately, factory ones can only be gotten thru year one, if at all. te company they deal with has exclusive rights to chrysler harnesses and fuse blocks. try getting a good used one from a parts car is all i can suggest for a stock one or do what dusterb318 said and bypass the bad circuits and use that aftermarket one.

Yep...it all depends on it you want to keep it original or not.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with DusterB318's NAPA replacement scenerio as I am not too concerned about keeping original and it provides for additional circuits.
Thanks daredevil for the offer, much appreciated and a confirmation that Mopar guys are the most friendly out there.
This has to be the most informative and friendly Mopar site I have ever come accross.
I was thinking about getting rid of my Dart and posted in the general forum asking about determining what its worth but after the great advice I have received and the great people here I am determined to find the time to continue working on it and continue to be a member of the Mopar family.
Thanks again all.

I had the same issue on my Duster and I went to Napa and got two universal fuse blocks. One for constant 12V and one for switched. This also swapped the glass fuses our for the larger ATO blade type fuses which are easier to find and it also gave me more circuits to add accessories.

Hi, I was wondering if you could post or pm me some pictures of the fuse box you made, and also a diagram of how you hooked it up (if possible). I want to convert the fuse box in my 73 duster to the blade style fuses, but I don't know how I would wire it up exactly. Also, do the blade fuses seem to hold up as well as the glass fuses do?

Just a note for those going with blade fuses. There was a post on the /6 board showing the cheaper blade type fuse kits. The ones purchased were made in China (perhaps they all are who knows) as I remember. The picture provided showed a kit from Harbor Freight.

The issue was that the fuses do not pop as they should. Problem is that they take way more power than rated and so the wiring now becomes the weaker of the two and thus melts, burns etc. Think it may have been Dan posting, but the poster provided pictures of a fuse tested. Supposed to be rated at 15 amps or so, fuse took 50 amps without popping. Then shorted one directly across the battery, even melted the plastic on the fuse, but the internal hoop that is supposed to burn in two was still in one piece.

Suggestion was to make sure to stay with name brand fuses like LittleFuse.

Can post a link to the post, but not sure if that is okay when it is off another board.

On a note about boxes, I purchased a blade box to use for add ons later down the road on the Dart. Got the box from Kragen/Checker. Box is rated at 30 amps per circuit of which I should be running 20 amps max. Easy hook up. Has a post for the main power feed to come in and then terminals out next to each fuse for your fused power out. Don't remember if it has six or eight fuse positions, but I think it has six.

Cheers

[-o<
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with DusterB318's NAPA replacement scenerio as I am not too concerned about keeping original and it provides for additional circuits.
Thanks daredevil for the offer, much appreciated and a confirmation that Mopar guys are the most friendly out there.
This has to be the most informative and friendly Mopar site I have ever come accross.
I was thinking about getting rid of my Dart and posted in the general forum asking about determining what its worth but after the great advice I have received and the great people here I am determined to find the time to continue working on it and continue to be a member of the Mopar family.
Thanks again all.

Anytime I can help I,d be more hhan glad to.

I want to replace mine also,I have a 1990 dodge pickup would that fuse block work?
Thanks
Mike

-
Back