Factory PCM and 5.7 tune - recommendations please

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
I have a factory stock 5.7 with a hotwire harness and a flashed 05 ram ECU and manual 6spd transmission (from a challenger). The ECU has a base tune from hotwire.

Are these base tunes the actual factory tune you would get on any standard Chrysler vehicle with a 5.7? Or is it an approx tune? I could be naive but I thought with a stock engine and a stock engine I could have avoided tuning, plug & play and drive off in to the sunset.

The car runs OK but sometimes stumbles at idle when you hit the gas pedal quickly until it warms up and then it also surges (revs drop really low, then rise, low, rise and then returns to normal) when you pull up to a stop. It will do this surging whether the engine is warm or cold. As mentioned by other members on this forum that it probably needs a custom tune.

What is the best option for a tune, Diablo or HP Tuners?

If I went with Diablo I'd probably be looking at the Intune. So for about $400 for the unit, and then how do you go about tunes? What does a custom tune cost? I've heard you somehow drive the car around and log data, and then send that to a tuner where they create a tune to suit?

I am based in Australia and while there are some places that will do tunes over here, a lot aren't filling me with confidence and from what I've read a lot of mates get theres from tuners in America. I just want to get the car sorted and running 100%.

Cheers, Dave.

-
Back