Factory Radio Installed

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
I found a real decent bezel on Ebay and I installed a working factory AM radio yesterday. Looks much better than the aftermarket one that was in there but AM band leaves a lot to be desired. Plan on putting an aftermarket one back in once I get a console built for it.

DSCF0096.jpg

Looks more the part, Indash CD players in 60s cars doesn't fit IMO.
My Dart came radio delete so I tinkered together a pair of bluetooth stereo headphones as the input to my amp connected to hidden speakers so my portable bluetooth mp3 player is my head unit. Just flip a switch under the dash and turn on the mp3 player. Holds a ton more than the CD changer and even has FM radio in it. True stealth audio.

Very nice. I forgot the round station pre-set buttons.

To improve AM reception, there are a couple of things you can do. Make sure the radio and the antenna are grounded well. There is also an antenna trimmer adjustment that is accessible from the back of the unit. This can be used to optimize the radio to the antenna installed.

For the most part AM radio had poorer fidelity than FM. When FM Stereo came along, AM was toast. What AM has going for it is range. Back in the day, I remember getting WLS out of Chicago, heard the Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding ads, way down in North Alabama on a car radio.

I remember as a kid in San Jose sitting in my mom's Ford wagon at night listening to Dodger games from L.A. and stations from Salt Lake City and Seattle. AM radio was cool!

-
Back