Factory Recommendation

-

JTG

Reaction score
The factory recommendation for oil in my non Mopar (2002 Suzuki XL7) daily driver is 5W30, will running 10W30 in it cause any problems?

It should be just fine but use the 5w30 in cold winter weather

No. My Subaru Impreza calls for 0w20 synthetic. In the quest for EPA numbers, mind you. In the summer oil burn off can catch you off guard and the oil light pops on between oil changes. I use a mixture of 10w30 and the recommended oil and dont have the problem anymore. Winter I mix with 5w30. If your Suzuki has alot of miles on it you are probably better off with the heavier oil anyway.

No. The only reason for the thin oil is to help with mileage.

No. My Subaru Impreza calls for 0w20 synthetic. In the quest for EPA numbers, mind you. In the summer oil burn off can catch you off guard and the oil light pops on between oil changes. I use a mixture of 10w30 and the recommended oil and dont have the problem anymore. Winter I mix with 5w30. If your Suzuki has alot of miles on it you are probably better off with the heavier oil anyway.

Thanks guys for the reply's.

The Suzuki does burn oil, once the oil has been changed it will need about half a quart after 3500kms or 1 quart if you leave till after 4500kms, mind you it has being doing this since I bought it with only 19000kms, the vehicle is now at 208000kms.

Probably not. Once the engine reaches normal operating temperature range, no problem at all. Suggest no full-throttle stuff until engine is warm.

-
Back