Factory Temp Gauge

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Hi Guys. My 340 seems to run just about the center of the temp gauge. It will drop a little lower if I am on the highway, but for the most part the needle is just about in the center of the gauge. Is this reading about normal for my car? I have no idea what the actual running temp is as the stock gauge has no numbers on it, but I was just wondering if any other members can post what their cars stock gauge indicates when driving. I don't have an aftermarket gauge to install.

Its a stock 69 340, has a 180º thermostat in it, and a freshly recored stock radiator, auto trans, has factory fan shroud and stock clutch fan.

I'm planning to drive it to Carlisle from Connecticut and I want to make sure it isn't running hot.

I suppose I could pull the thermostat out altogether, but I thought I would check with the experts here first.
Any help and experience is appreciated a great deal as we have only about a week and a half until the Mopar show.

Thanks in advance.

George

probably about normal...... The stock gauges are far from the most accurate. Best thing to do is hook up a real mechanical gauge at the same time... that way you can get an idea of what your stock one is telling you. Once you know whats going on you can take the mechanical gauge out.

Hi george I have had 3 outher 69 Darts in the past 1 had a 318 anouther 360 and 3rd had 273 all had some high performance added all with 2 row rad and 190 stat.they all went half way on the gague nothing to worry about.I have e friend in the heating bussiness who once had a probe that we used to see what it was running at and read 195 on my 360.You already know you could get a different gague with readings ,still half way is cool.What always freek me out was when i would shut it down for a few moments and restart it up and the neddel goes all the way to the right but came back once she ran.

Thanks Snake.
According to what your buddy's probe told you, the half way point on the gauge is approximately 195º?

68Formula, I wish I had another mechanical gauge to install & try. Money is too tight right now to spend $40 on a gauge. I can just about afford this Carlisle trip with my son as it is.

Thanks for the help, guys.

George

Does anyone you know have one of those point and shoot infrared thermometers you can borrow? I used one a lot working on stuff at my old job and they were pretty slick. I dont know what they are really called...

Does anyone you know have one of those point and shoot infrared thermometers you can borrow? I used one a lot working on stuff at my old job and they were pretty slick. I dont know what they are really called...
Yes, I have a few friends that own them, but unfortunately none of them live locally.
They are called infared temp guns.

George

Yea George,

I think center is about right for normal operation. Taking a thermostst out is not really a good idea as if lets water flow too fast in the radiator and it won't cool as well.

By the way what time are you stopping by to pick me up on the way to Carlisle????

Hope you and the family (or boys) have a wonderful time

Kim

drop by a shop that has a heat gun and have them shoot your bottom and top hose and then you,ll have a reference point of what your gauge is reading. should have read all the posts.lol

Kim, I better leave CT now for CO, or we'll be late for the show!
Wish you were able to fly out for a couple of days. It would be nice to buy you lunch after all the help you provided.
It will be just me and my 9 year old son. Well, he's almost 10. It is just too much heat & walking for my 5 year old so he'll stay home with mama.

I'll see if the gas station down the corner has an IR temp gun.

George

you can get a cheap pocket t-stat and stick it into the top tank with the cap off and let it get to temp, to test the cheap t-stat fill a glass with ice and then fill with water wait a few minutes and stick your stat in it, it should show around 34 degrees

My Dart with a stock style 185* thermostat was running about 40% of the gauge. I bought one of the Milodon high-flow thermostats #16406 and it probably reduced the temperature by 15* or more. The gauge now runs about 30% or right at the line, even with 90* weather.

The stock gauge should read right in the middle for 180 degrees but it can be all over the place due to improper sending unit, resistance in the wiring and connections, etc. I thought my cuda was running real hot right after I got it running cause the gauge was going almost all the way over. I checked it with an infrared temp gun and found it was only running 180. Apparently the sender or gauge is way off.

-
Back