Fan belt questions

-

LImopar

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart w/318 with power steering and a/c. I have removed the a/c. Could anyone give me an idea of how the belts should be installed now that the a/c components are gone. My crank pulley has 3 grooves, alternator has 2 grooves, fan belt pully has 1 groove an power steering pump has 1 groove.

There is nothing running off the inner most groove of the crank pulley (closest to the block).
The middle groove of the crank pulley lines up with the alternater inner groove.
The outside groove of crank pulley lines up with the fan pulley and the power steering pump.
I think that the power steering pump should run by itself off the crank pulley and the alternator and fan pulley should run off of a different groove of the crank pulley.
Is there a deeper fan belt pulley that the groove will sit closer to the engine block and line up with the alternator and middle groove of the crank pulley?.

The reason I need help is I am getting a squeal from the power steering belt that will not go away. The tension is correct and the belt is new. I went as far as installing a new power steering pump thinking it would solve the problem but it did not. In all the pictures I found the power steering pump is running off the crank pulley by itself so I think that by having the same belt run the fan pulley it is causing the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yup there are different depths of water pump pulley. Powe steering belt should go aound crank and nothing else.

Here is a pic of my car which I went from power to manual.
(Dont ask why,can you say Popeye arms,lol).

Anyways the extra grove on the crank pulley will send a single belt to your power steering, done !

faucet pics 771.jpg

LImopar,

I have a '71 Dart GT that I removed all the underhood A/C compnents from. It is a 318 car with the Federal Power Steering system.
I have a short synopsis of what I did to my car on my cardomain page (click the link in my signature).
Hope it helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

Dan

LImopar,

I have a '71 Dart GT that I removed all the underhood A/C compnents from. It is a 318 car with the Federal Power Steering system.
I have a short synopsis of what I did to my car on my cardomain page (click the link in my signature).
Hope it helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

Dan
Hey Dan

I am in a similar situation.....I have a 72 fish but it has a 76 318 in it that has the AC bracketry for it.....it also seems to have the NON/AC alt bracket for it aside from the big AC bracket mount for the alt.....the car has power steering (notsure which -- its the plastic capped unit)....

Looks like following your lead I can make the PS/water pump/crank routing work ifI get the right belt...the 15440 belt I have now is too small.....in your pics you are using a 15461...gonna try to find one of those...

Any chance you know the length of the belt you are using?

Have you had any issues after grinding down the water pump fin? Looks like I will have to do the same thing.....

Your site was really helpful!

shadango,

No, I don't know the length of the belt. I used it because I had the PS belt handy, gave it a trial fit, and went with it.
I probably could have used a shorter belt and skipped the water pump fin grind, but now I only need to carry 1 spare belt in the trunk.
If you want to use the same belt I'm using; ask your parts guy for a PS belt (Federal pump) for a 1971 Dart GT (Swinger) with a 318 and A/C.

Dan

Hey there....using your pics, I was able to find the part number.....and picked it up....it works! By the way, the belt is 45.5 inches.....On mine, I coulda gone about a half inch longer maybe but it looks like it will work fine.

I have to figure out the whole alternator belt thing though.....It appears I have the stock mounting tabs on th engine already for the alt....so I took the AC bracket off...just have to get an alternator and see what size the belt is.....hoping I dont have to grind down the water pump like you did...but any issues with yours since you did?

By the way I really like the idea of ONE size belt! Thansk for putting this info out there...it wreally helped!

I have a 72 Barracuda 318, with a/c I just got it imported to Australia, went for a drive and the 2 belts driving the ac and alternator started smoking and one broke, I cut the other one off as it was still smoking, I dont know if they were too warn and were slipping or if the ac was seizing up.

Now my alternator isnt working, Can I get a belt that just bypasses the ac?

I dont think the ac works and I dont want it.

thanks

You need a peedlepod, a doohickey, a thingamajig, a whatchyamacallit, thingamabob and portasnorkle and you'll be hooked right up.

-
Back