Fan Clutch alignment

-

danielb927

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In preparation for putting a thicker radiator in my car, I swapped the stock fan clutch to the Hayden 2765 that's been discussed on FABO a lot. I used the included bushing when installing it, however, the engagement between the shaft at the end of the water pump and the recessed hole where the bushing sits is pretty small so I'm not sure the bushing actually engaged correctly. It may have slid back into that recessed hole while I was trying to line up and tighten the bolts. Now when I run the engine things look nice and aligned, I can't see any obvious wobble, BUT there is a small amount of play in the pulley/fan if I try to wiggle it (with the engine off).

How much play should there be / how can I make sure this thing isn't wobbling enough to shred itself apart in my engine bay eventually?

I would be concerned about any wobble because as the fan speed increases, the wobble will just get worse....

I would take the time to get it right.

If it breaks, you will have to replace: Fan, pulley, radiator, and possibly water pump.

Is it worth taking the risk?

I would be concerned about any wobble because as the fan speed increases, the wobble will just get worse....

I would take the time to get it right.

If it breaks, you will have to replace: Fan, pulley, radiator, and possibly water pump.

Is it worth taking the risk?

Or perhaps a hood also.

Are you running stock pulleys or aftermarket aluminum pulleys?

I had aftermarket aluminum on my car at first and they are thicker than factory steel pulleys. Which in turn didnt allow for that bushing to seat properly either and I couldnt get the fan to center very well. I ended up swapping back to factory steel pulleys. You want to get rid of that wobble and figure out whats causing it. Keep us posted.

It's a stock steel pulley for an AC car. Kind of a mucked up pulley system since the car was switched from AC to no AC a while back without changing the pulleys. But anyways, not a thicker pulley as far as I know. Is the pulley mount on the water pump moveable?

It's a stock steel pulley for an AC car. Kind of a mucked up pulley system since the car was switched from AC to no AC a while back without changing the pulleys. But anyways, not a thicker pulley as far as I know. Is the pulley mount on the water pump moveable?

You can change the pulley on the water pump, the fan bolts hold it on.

Non a/c cars use a single groove alternator and water pump pulleys.

A/C cars use a double groove alternator and water pump pulleys.

I did the same thing. After I got the cash I picked up a set of single groove pulleys. I dont recall if the A/C pulley is thicker but I cant imagine it is. As for the mount being moveable. Simple answer is, No its not. With the exception of water pump shims to move it closer to the radiator. The water pump pulley mounts flush to the water pump snout and that is as far back as its going to go.

Just a thought and it occurred to me now.. Take that bushing and double check to make sure it slides thru the large hole in the pulley. If it dont you will have to drill that hole out. I had to do that to mine. Just large enough for the pushing to firmly fit the pulley, You dont want any slop since that centers the pulley on the pump snout.

This is how I installed mine. Install the pulley so that it is on the water pump, next install that bushing so that it centers the pulley and is over that little nub, Might have to tap it onto the nub. Then install the clutch. I do know that the Hayden clutch did not sit as deep as the hole in the base. I think mine probably went on the little nub from the water pump about 1/4" to 3/8".

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow morning, may try to re-install the Hayden the way you suggested. I don't think the bushing slides through the pulley, although I hadn't thought to try installing it that way. I was trying to slide it on the exposed part with the pulley already on there, which didn't give it much to grab on to.

May end up putting the stock one back on and just trying to do a bigger project with new radiator, pulleys, and maybe electric fan down the road.

-
Back