Fan motor studs?

-

68coupe

Reaction score
DSCN3704.JPG
I'm refurbishing an A/C equipped heater box on a 71 Dart. Are there supposed to be studs that screw into the fan plenum and extend through the firewall? This car was a basket case and the only thing holding the fan motor in was the squirrel cage fan. Any pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks

I don't have a pic ready, but yes.
You can see the three holes in the motor back cover and where they go through the firewall also.

Ok I found a partial and blew it up so you could see the nuts on the studs that come out from the inside of the firewall and hold the heater plenum and motor both to the firewall.
There is also supposed to be a J hook inside the passenger side floor vent box.
(Inside the little metal door and it hooks up inside the vent lip where the air comes in from the cowl) to help hold the box up to the vent/box seal.

studs.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a pic ready, but yes.
You can see the three holes in the motor back cover and where they go through the firewall also.
Thanks, I'll look through the boxes and boxes of parts tomorrow to see if anything looks appropriate. LOL Like a jigsaw puzzle....

When I took mine apart, they weren't studs. They were three rubber isolators with studs on either end. The aftermarket motor I replaced it with was shorter and came with short bolts to replace the isolators.

Take the three tiny screws out around the perimeter of the circular "shell" and the motor/blower assembly will come out. Then you can see what you are missing.

When I took mine apart, they weren't studs. They were three rubber isolators with studs on either end. The aftermarket motor I replaced it with was shorter and came with short bolts to replace the isolators.

Take the three tiny screws out around the perimeter of the circular "shell" and the motor/blower assembly will come out. Then you can see what you are missing.

Weird how many thing are different between years and models.
On my 72 Swinger they are three studs that go through the insulators from the inside with just washers and nuts under the hood.

-
Back