fan shroud question

-

doktor_x

ronin phantom
Reaction score
First, a wee bit of history. The elderly fellow that previously owned my '73 Dart Swinger apparently had problems getting it to run reasonably cool in summer. He threw money and parts at it without apparent success. One of the first things I noticed upon taking possession of the car was the lack of a fan shroud.

Now I'm poking around the internet in search of a shroud and nothing I'm finding seems right. It's got me wondering if a radiator for something else (E-body, dump truck or something) was crammed in as a partially misguided attempt to help the cooling problem. The unit currently in the car measures something like 22" vertical and 26.5" horizontal. I can take better measurements at specific features if needed.

What should I be looking for to locate a properly fitting shroud for this thing? Perhaps a Diplomat (which would be a step toward an equipment list reminiscent of the Bluesmobile, i.e. cop shocks, cop brakes, etc.)?

I managed to get one picture of a tag affixed to the upper tank. Then my camera battery took a dive. It'll be charging for most of the night.

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

Maybe these will be more helpful in identifying the mystery radiator.
DSC04279.jpg
DSC04280.jpg
DSC04281.jpg
DSC04282.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

DSC04281.jpg

DSC04282.jpg

The shroud should help at low speed and at idle. You will need to get the fan blades half way into the shroud to be most effective. Your fan now seems a bit far from the radiator. You may need a spacer if it is not sufficiently deep into the shroud.

After more poking around, it appears that a 26" shroud for a 70-73 Big Block B/E body will do the job. The overall dimensions make sense and it seems to place the end of the funnel (for lack of a better term - I'm not a radiatorologist, nor have I played one on TV) at ~3" from the face of the core. This is about dead-on in the middle of the existing fan setup.

I've ordered part# 2998326 from Mancini and will post an update after installation. The next several paychecks could very easily be diverted to Mancini Racing if not for frivolous crap like the mortgage. O:)

The next several paychecks could very easily be diverted to Mancini Racing if not for frivolous crap like the mortgage.

Sometimes I think a ****** habit would be cheaper than this Mopar addicition Doc.

01010701021101040520080101c24ab98ee59f49789c00d398.jpg

Sometimes I think a ****** habit would be cheaper Doc.
The thing saving me from that is a very strong aversion to needles and powders. I try to limit mind-alteration to alcohol and/or sitting for a while and standing up REALLY fast.

I had a Norelco electric razor years ago that probably would've been suitable for acute blood pressure reduction. Maybe also boring holes for entry door lock sets. That thing was evil. The album cover from 'Weasels Ripped My Flesh' comes to mind.

without knowing anything about the radiator that is in it now , what makes you think or belive that the shroud that you ordered will fit it? it is not just the fact that the size is right. what about the holes that attach it to the radiator itself. they have to line up in the correct locations to allow it to be attached as well. i hope it works out for you, as this could end up being an expensive lesson. fan wise i would switch to a stock clutch type. that will help you out alot as well....good luck

without knowing anything about the radiator that is in it now , what makes you think or belive that the shroud that you ordered will fit it? it is not just the fact that the size is right. what about the holes that attach it to the radiator itself. they have to line up in the correct locations to allow it to be attached as well. i hope it works out for you, as this could end up being an expensive lesson. fan wise i would switch to a stock clutch type. that will help you out alot as well....good luck

I'll be going to a clutch fan at some point in the near future. I kicked up mounting hole measurements on an ebay piece (hopefully, they're good measurements) and they were close enough to call it "the one". If push comes to shove, I'll fabricate filler plates or some manner of bracketry to mount the thing. I'm looking at it in terms of a tastefully (it's all relative) cobbled shroud being better than none at all. As potential lessons go, this one is an acceptable risk.

many /6 and 318 with out air conditioning came factory with no shroud, no reason it shouldnt work that way now.

-
Back