Fan Shroud Questions

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I have a 22" 4 core radiator in my 68 Dart. I currently have a 6 blade fixed fan with no shroud.

Would it be worth converting to a thermal clutch fan with shroud?

Where can I get a shroud for this radiator? Are they all the same? Or are they year specific?

I have a 22" 4 core radiator in my 68 Dart. I currently have a 6 blade fixed fan with no shroud.

Would it be worth converting to a thermal clutch fan with shroud?

Where can I get a shroud for this radiator? Are they all the same? Or are they year specific?

Yes you will see significant improvements in cooling with a shroud. clutch or no clutch. the shroud simply directs the air thru the rad. instead of just moving the air around the engine bay. I have seen several threads on here with guys building there own shrouds. I know that you want your fan blade 2/3 the way into the shroud and 1/2" clearance around the blades.

As for the shroud years i have no idea but im sure someone here does. good luck with your hunt.

I'm pretty sure the upper rad tanks on earlier A-bodies like your 68 are rounded. Later, the tanks became squared-off on top. If you are thinking of a stock style shroud, this would affect the fit between the shroud and radiator. The stock ones were being re-popped for awhile. Don't know if they are still available but Mancinis used to sell them for $150.

If you have the 2898033 68 radiator then you want a 2785614 shroud. The viscous fan package is recommended.

Hoffman Winner Circle repops them and are available from several sources. Go to Hoffmans web site and the retailers are listed there.

http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com

I'm in the same situation with my '70 318 Dart. It's a non-AC car so it had the small radiator with the sheet metal filler panel when I got it.

One of the first things I did was to replace the radiator with the larger one as our summer temps normally hover between 104-108. I haven't had overheating issues but would like to make the cooling system as efficent as possible. It only makes sense.

At the same time I'd like to keep my fuel use efficient too as my Dart is my DD. I would think a fan clutch would help in that department, I just don't know how much. Is it worth it to increase MPG for what I'd get out it?

It also has the non-AC water pump, pully and fan. Is it worth it to change these out to the AC parts to help keep the engine cool in a hot environment like where I live?

Thanks for the input guys. Now, at least I know what I'm looking for. Looks like I need the "614" shroud. Not sure I'm down to drop almost $200 on one. I may try to make one if I can't find one at a decent price.

Thanks again.

-
Back