Fan spacer question

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i want to get going on my 70 dart to finish it up ....its been a while since i have done anything with it .......last time i was working with this car i ran into an issue that im not sure about.

the radiator i want to use in this car is a pretty hefty HD unit and with the radiator in the car there is no room for the fan spacer.

so the question is: can i bolt the fan directly to the pulley like in the pic or do i need a spacer. Also, how far should the fan be from tne radiator ?

i dont have a shroud if that makes a difference.....and this is a 440 so i dont have much room in there.

Attachments

• CIMG9843 - Copy.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 560
you dont have to have a spacer as long as the fan is not interfering with anything, just make sure the end of the bolts that may protrude are not hitting anything. of course you can use short fan bolts. i like to keep my fans right about 1-1 1/2 " away from the radiator. i would use a shroud if at all possible.

looking at your pic , it looks like a 1 or 1 1/2" spacer may be needed if you are using a 2 core.

looking good Rani

pretty !

Personally wouldn't go any farther than 2-2 1/2" away from radiator or closer than 1/2". By leaving at least a 1/2" you shouldn't have to worry about it hitting from the torque twist from that 440 when you romp it. :burnout:

I go with 3/4" to 1" blade to core clearance and that's with a shroud (must have) with the BB's. Also check for clearance between inner blade edges and lower rad hose as it goes up into the pump.

Did you try installing the radiator first and then putting on the fan? I'm running a 3 core with my 440 cuda and I still have enough room, although just barely, to run a clutch fan. It's so tight in fact I have to put a piece of cardboard against the radiator core so that it doesn't get damaged when I install the fan.

I have any spacer you need I would send you a couple of different lenghths for free you pay actual shipping Steve

Rani-
Install the radiator and the shroud in the car, without the fan in place. Hold the fan in the shroud opening, so that 1/2 the blade thickness is inside the shroud. With your 3rd arm ( :D ) measure the distance from the fan to the pulley. This is the size of the spacer you'll need.

I have a 69 Dart with a 440, and it has a pretty thick Be Cool radiator in it. I used a shroud from a slant 6 car, and installed it upside down (fits perfectly, try it!) and a Flex Fan, and still needed a spacer. I used a 1" spacer, but I could have used a 1-1/2" spacer. Car runs cool as heck even when it's 95º outside.

If you want a picture of my set up I can post it for you.

Good Luck.

George
P.S. You'll NEED a shroud or the car will have cooling issues.

-
Back