Fast ratio manual steering - '75 duster

-

DSG Duster

Reaction score
My '75 Duster, slant 6 auto. has the standard manual steering. I don't mind the effort, but it takes alot of turns when parking. What fast ratio boxes, from what cars would be a direct bolt-in? What are the part #s I should look for? If it makes any difference, this car was factory ordered with heavy duty shocks, front stabilizer, std. front discs, big rear brakes, and torsion bars/rear springs for a 360 car. I'm running 195/70-14 tires on stock rims. - Dale

Yup, flaming river is 16:1, the stock boxes were 24:1. Some of the early A bodies were offered with a quick ratio box that was also 16:1, but good luck finding one of those. Mopar also made 20:1 replacement worm gears, but those have been out of production for awhile.

Other than Flaming river, your only other option is a "steering quickner". They come in different ratio's, Howe makes them in 1.5:1 and 2:1 and they're available from most places, like Summit here. 1.5:1 would get you 16:1, 2:1 would yield a arm breaking 12:1. They're cheaper than getting a new steering box, but you'd have to cut the steering shaft and install couplers to make it work, so its probably easier to just buy a new Flaming river steering box.

Thanks guys for the input. Looks like I have some investigation to do. There's a steering rebuilder near me that I can check out too. - Dale

-
Back