fast swap

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
What would be the best swap parts for a 318 without having to changing other to no other parts at all?

If you change the cam your also going to need to change/upgrade the exhaust (either to 340 manifold ($$$) or a set of headers from Dougs or TTi). Also what year 318 you working with? (If it is pre roller block I'd recommend a whiplash cam from Hughes).

Since you weren't very specific at all about what you want to accomplish all I can do is guess your wanting more power. So with that in mind put dual exhaust on it. 2-1/4 pipes. Preferably mandrel bent. Summit has a deal on it for A-bodies. The 4 barrel and intake swap 1970Duster recommended is good too. Use an Edelbrock performer and either a 600 Holley vacuum secondary or a 500 or 600 Edelbrock. Put one of those Mutha thumpers in with no other mods and you'll throw what little power and fuel mileage you have out the window. Putting a big cam in an otherwise stock engine is one of the biggest mistakes a lot of people make. It may sound nasty but when you get blown away by a Prius what have you gained?

X2 what fishy said about that cam. This is why I said look at the whiplash cam by Hughes because they're design to deal with "stock" engines. Also these cams sounds pretty nasty :twisted:

If you change the cam your also going to need to change/upgrade the exhaust (either to 340 manifold ($$$) or a set of headers from Dougs or TTi). Also what year 318 you working with? (If it is pre roller block I'd recommend a whiplash cam from Hughes).

I don't know the exact year, the original owner blew up the 225 in it and her sons put a 318 in the Duster. The Duster was bought from her late 80's-early 90's and sat behind a shop till I bought it. So I'm guessing it's a mid to late 70's- early 80's 318, and I only bring in the early 80's because there's a bunch of economy or fuel regulating(or whatever they're called) hoses going in and out of every where also it's still carbuted and EFI didn't show up till the mid 80's.

Since you weren't very specific at all about what you want to accomplish all I can do is guess your wanting more power. So with that in mind put dual exhaust on it. 2-1/4 pipes. Preferably mandrel bent. Summit has a deal on it for A-bodies. The 4 barrel and intake swap 1970Duster recommended is good too. Use an Edelbrock performer and either a 600 Holley vacuum secondary or a 500 or 600 Edelbrock. Put one of those Mutha thumpers in with no other mods and you'll throw what little power and fuel mileage you have out the window. Putting a big cam in an otherwise stock engine is one of the biggest mistakes a lot of people make. It may sound nasty but when you get blown away by a Prius what have you gained?

I guess I want an engine that I can just buy a couple new parts swap the old and new parts out and not have to do a complete overhaul. but I still want it to get up and go but the engine not be worth my entire paycheck for the year. I want to put about 1000-1500 into the engine and thats it. Maybe a i'll more maybe a i'll less but you know my budget now and what I want to accomplish.

If I were in your shoes I would:

Get the engine running (if it is not)
Check Compression and Oil pressure to verify if the engine is sound
Determine what year it is and if it stock, (this will allow you to choose a mods based on your goals and the compression ratio of the engine)

Once you know your goal, the health and static compression of the engine, post what you know and there will be some more exact recommendations. Throwing speed parts (i.e. money) into an engine that has low oil pressure, bad rings, or valves is not a good start and placing a large cam in a low static compression engine will make it more of a dog.

If you know that it is sound, then what others have said, small intake, small 4bbl carb, headers, dual exhaust and gears.

What transmission and how healthy is it?

Also, how healthy is the car? Can the brakes and suspension handle a hotter motor?

Sorry to rain on the parade, but these are things I have learned the hard way, it's tempting to dive in with mods, but cover your bases first, sped wisely and in order and you'll have a car and drive train that works together and in return you will have more enjoyment with the money spent.

-
Back