Fastback Barracuda trunk info

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
This is a question for those with a fastback Barracuda. How was the trunk area finished? I know that the rear seat seatback had carpeting, but how about the box/platform over the gas tank? Was it bare metal or did it too have carpeting? Was there any type of cover over the spare tire in the well?

I scanned the site for any pictures, but have not found any. Do you know of any websites that might have photos of the trunk area? I had an '87 Dodge Shelby and it had a fold-down rear seatback, but it also had a roll-up shade-type arrangement that allowed you to pull a cover over the trunk area. I am considering fabbing something of the sort along with some sheetmetal work to clean up the visible trunk area. Just some ideas. What have some of you guys done in that area? How about stereo speakers? How do you mount them.

Ah, so many questions...

Thanks for any input.

The rear panel behind the seat was carpeted. On standard interiors the sides above were vinyl covered. Deluxe interiors had the side panels carpeted.

There is a plywood security panel that folds and latches to divide the trunk space from the passenger compartment. In the color picture you can see it folded down when it's up and latched it meets the sides of the carpeted area at the back. Mine still has the security panel in it.
I don't have any pictures to show it in the latched position that are good
quality.
As for the trunk area I believe there was a cover over the spare tire and
a vinyl or rubber mat over that.

cudapic2.jpg

Scan0001 Medium Web view.jpg

cudapic1 Medium Web view.jpg

cudapic2.jpg

Scan0001 Medium Web view.jpg

cudapic1 Medium Web view.jpg

Thanks, guys, for the info and pics. This will give me an idea where I can begin. Did they use a continuous piano hinge or smaller hinges for the fold-up security panel?

To quote the founder of Faber College, "Knowledge is good."

I believe the factory used one long continuous hinge. I would find an original hinge I am sure someone has one laying around.

yep. its a one piece piano hinge. it has 4 holes per side. when you order the carpet kits, they send you the sides and bottom. under the flat portion of the rear cargo area, there is a thin board( i used masonite) to cover the strengthening ribs in the metal pan. the carpet then goes over this to make a smooth floor.

here is a what mine looks like.

DSC00448 (Small).JPG

DSC00449 (Small).JPG

DSC00451 (Small).JPG

In my Paul Herd resto guide it says that the -67-69 Fastback did use colorkeyed carpeting on the trunk floor.

Thanks for the great pics and info. Very nice finish on the trunk, Redfastback, I want to finish mine similarly.

If I cannot locate the correct hinge and locking mechanism, I will have to use my inguinity and fab a functioning system.

Thanks again. I will tune in for any new info and/or pics on the subject. You guys are really great and helpful. You don't know how much I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks for the great pics and info. Very nice finish on the trunk, Redfastback, I want to finish mine similarly.

If I cannot locate the correct hinge and locking mechanism, I will have to use my inguinity and fab a functioning system.

Thanks again. I will tune in for any new info and/or pics on the subject. You guys are really great and helpful. You don't know how much I appreciate your assistance.

I may have the hinge.....will check the garage tomorrow.
If I have it, it's yours for the shipping cost. Will let you know.
You would need to cut out a piece of plywood to mount to it.

Here is a listing for part of the latch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...ryZ42606QQihZ020QQitemZ300160045728QQtcZphoto

Looks like 67ragtop may be able to help you out also

67 Ragtop & Tony Fields,

Yes, I am definitely interested in those parts. I would not mind paying you for the parts and the shipping cost as it would save me a lot of time fabbing them from scratch or hunting the internet.

Please let me know. Much appreciated.

67 Ragtop & Tony Fields,

Yes, I am definitely interested in those parts. I would not mind paying you for the parts and the shipping cost as it would save me a lot of time fabbing them from scratch or hunting the internet.

Please let me know. Much appreciated.

Here's the hinge...........I'll see what the shipping would be.......if
Ragtop has the complete security panel with the latches, that might
be the way to go as the plywood panel has a metal trim that goes
completely around it....I don't think the trim is necessary for the
function of the panel....just looks better.

hinge_Small_.jpg

Man, you guys on this site are unbelievable. I am certainly interested in those hatch parts.

I have been scrounging through my old MOPAR parts boxes as I have been building the shop inside my garage. I do have a bunch of odds and ends laying around, mostly from B and E bodies. I have an original GoWing, an 833 from a '72 'Cuda, 'Cuda remote control side mirror, a '72 340 (apart), Holley 850 DP, set of big valve 360 heads, '68 318 (no heads), '70 Six Pack carbs...I am keeping my eyes open on the site to see if anybody asks about such items.

-
Back