fastback or hard top

-

mad dog

Reaction score
Hello, here's my dumb question of the day.. i have a 73 Duster that I'm adding a rear gull wing to ,before I order they want to know if i have a fast back or a hard top Duster.
my car has the rear push out wing windows... so is my car a fastback or a hard top?...thanks Rich

A hardtop does not have a B pillar (no support post directly behind the drivers side door). When the drivers door window is rolled down and the window beside the back seat on the driver side is also rolled down, there is a continuous opening from the windshield (A pillar) to the C pillar that supports the rear window/rear roof structure. Chrysler defined the hard-tops with the body style number of “23” in the 3rd and 4th digits of the VIN. The Duster, Demon and Dart Sports had a B pillar so they were not considered hardtops and therefore had the number “29” as the 3rd and 4th digits in the VIN.

In short, your Duster is not a hardtop. Chrysler used the term ‘sports hardtop‘ for the Duster, Demon and Dart Sport models.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. You could make the argument for "fastback", as they are not a hardtop, but the "B" pillar is not a part of the cars structure like a B body Road Runner or Coronet with the pop out windows, which came as hardtop ( quarter windows roll down ) or sedan ( pop out windows similar to Duster/Demon/Sport).

I think the generic term that Chrysler use was "Special Hardtop" this was used on the Barracuda Fastbacks as well.
By some peoples definition, a 65 Mustang Fastback would not be a fastback.

Alan

-
Back