Fastback tank install ? Urgh !!!!

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Do i need to remove the interior panel to install a new tank on my 68 fastback?

The factory service manual says to rotate the filler neck 180 degrees...
That is just not possible with the rear panels and floor panel in place !

I cant seem to get a downward angle with the filler neck in order to start inserting it into the tank grommet....

Any advice ?

yea they have to go... if i recall we installed the neck loose, then the tank. then screwed the neck to the body

Yes.

You can stress and warp the quarter panel if you don't.

I may have been a little vague... I have the filler neck loose from the quarter panel but the carpeted floor pan and interior quarter trim panels (wheel housing panel) keeps the filler tube from coming up far enough to get a straight shot at the tank inlet hole.

Does that make more sense ?. I am hoping to not have to remove all the rear interior panels since it is a biit of a hassle to do....

I may have been a little vague... I have the filler neck loose from the quarter panel but the carpeted floor pan and interior quarter trim panels (wheel housing panel) keeps the filler tube from coming up far enough to get a straight shot at the tank inlet hole.

Does that make more sense ?. I am hoping to not have to remove all the rear interior panels since it is a biit of a hassle to do....

are you trying to install the filler neck from the bottom? im confused as if you can screw the filler neck in properly without the tank in then just undo the screws so its loose, install the tank fully and then re screw in the neck.

if the neck wont go in pull the panels.

No...not from the bottom. I installed all of my new interior pieces with the filler tube installed but not screwed to the quarter. Now I am trying to install the new tank and cant seem to get the filler tube into the grommet on the tank. It might be easier if it was on a hoist but that would intail transporting it to the shop .

Maybe I just havent tried hard enough. I knew it would be a tight fit getting it in . It took a bit of work to get all the interior panels installed properly and I am really hoping that I wont have to do it again...

No...not from the bottom. I installed all of my new interior pieces with the filler tube installed but not screwed to the quarter. Now I am trying to install the new tank and cant seem to get the filler tube into the grommet on the tank. It might be easier if it was on a hoist but that would intail transporting it to the shop .

Maybe I just havent tried hard enough. I knew it would be a tight fit getting it in . It took a bit of work to get all the interior panels installed properly and I am really hoping that I wont have to do it again...

yea i hear ya... even with the panels out we had fun on the 69 M code we just finished...

BTW, I love that belvedere

Altered Baby

I had 3 65 Coronets. 1 500 bigblock that I redid and 2 440 parts cars..I dearly wanted to alter one of the 440s but time and finances got in the way.

I had 3 65 Coronets. 1 500 bigblock that I redid and 2 440 parts cars..I dearly wanted to alter one of the 440s but time and finances got in the way.

if you can do it yourself its cheap, think i have 100 bucks into it lol... 2x 15" length of 2x2 and 1x2( or 3 cant remember) and then 2 lengths of 2x3 for up front.

if you can do it yourself its cheap, think i have 100 bucks into it lol... 2x 15" length of 2x2 and 1x2( or 3 cant remember) and then 2 lengths of 2x3 for up front.

put the tube in loose, put the tank up -loose, oil the grommit and the tube work them into place together,tightening the straps as it goes together. if u got some help, shouldn`t be too hard, I did mine by myself, was kind of rough!-----------it can be done.---------bob:coffee2:

I did mine by myself. Just like said loose tube I used vaseline. Make sure you have the right grommet. Im now not sure I had the right grommet as it now has a leak. Used tank.

I did mine by myself. Just like said loose tube I used vaseline. Make sure you have the right grommet. Im now not sure I had the right grommet as it now has a leak. Used tank.

so you did it with the interior in the car ? The carpeted floor pan behind the fold down seat and the drivers side wheelhouse trim panel keeps the filler tube from getting a good angle.

I will just stick my kid in the trunk to hold the filler tube tight while I manhandle the tank... really

put the tube in loose, put the tank up -loose, oil the grommit and the tube work them into place together,tightening the straps as it goes together. if u got some help, shouldn`t be too hard, I did mine by myself, was kind of rough!-----------it can be done.---------bob:coffee2:

^^^^^

Like famous bob said.

Worked for me....had to raise the tank while inserting the tube.

-
Back