Fastest street car??

-
There are different classes in Drag Week to fit the bill for what anyone thinks a true "Streetcar" should be.
I'm happy to see them all myself, and who doesn't want to see backhalved 6.9x cars terrorizing the track after driving itsself there, whether they need C16 at the race or not. If the whole event was cars that only ran on pumpgas and had factory chassis we'd all be bored of it. Drag week would have no hype.

let them drive from Baker, ca to las vegas nv in August...up and over baker grade...

Ya thats a ruff one. I trailered my Dart to MATS and it is a street car. LOL That drive is a killer. Was wondering if my poor V10 was going to make it up baker grade pulling my trailer with the Dart in it. Could of got out and walked up it faster. HAHA That hill is a monster!

Most of the stuff 1320video covers is from 10's thru the 8's a 7 second car is a big deal on their videos.

But call me crazy, but I don't think those cars pictured are street cars, they're grudge cars, and I don't think those 6 second drag week cars are street cars either, they're race cars someone threw extra money at to retain the headlights.

But this isn't the time or place to discuss what makes a street car. edit: well, nevermind that, I guess it is..
:glasses7:

Ya thats a ruff one. I trailered my Dart to MATS and it is a street car. LOL That drive is a killer. Was wondering if my poor V10 was going to make it up baker grade pulling my trailer with the Dart in it. Could of got out and walked up it faster. HAHA That hill is a monster!

Baker Grade has claimed many of vehicles!! Burned them to the ground too!!

wrong ! I thought the same thing I got told really fast by OHP ''if your going to take the kid you need belts! your fine but the kid has to have a belt '' It dont matter the year kids have to be straped in the car . Btw i didnt try to run with out any belts i put one and only one in the 64 for the kid but i did ask OHP and its 65 and up 64 is under the limit for seat belt laws

x2

I don't know if different states have different laws--I don't see how when Federal laws overrule state laws. I do know cops sometimes LIE or are mistaken on the law and you gotta get a lawyer and go to court to straighten out the matter and sometimes even sue the police if they don't stop harassing you.

This is straight from the Michigan State Police website.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#belts

Question: I own a car built in 1957 which did not come from the factory with seatbelts. Can I legally drive this vehicle on the road and take my children with me without seatbelts?

Answer: Yes. MCL 257.710b states in part that a private passenger vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1965 must be equipped with safety belts for the driver and one other front seat passenger. MCL 257.710d states in part that child restraint requirements do not apply to motor vehicles not required to be equipped with safety belts under federal law or regulation.

I don't get puller over anymore but I do recall in the old days-heck back when I was 15 and had a moped I got pulled over like everyday to see if I had a moped license and back in the 70's there was many more cops on the roads-today they just kickback and wait for cell phone calls to alert them on accidents and crazy drivers.

Yeah cops would lie to me and tell me-oh like I need eye protection when the law said its only required for speeds 35 mph and higher--even when I had a motorbike and the cop spotted me stop at a traffic light and I explain to the cop that I was not going 35 mph--oh sometimes it be "you aren't planing on going over 35 mph"..and I'm like, just repeat to the cop that I was not going 35 and was not breaking the law and to leave me alone, lol...and be sure to stay under 35 till I was out of his jurisdiction.

Sometimes the cop's would act like they are giving you a break when really technically they could not write you a ticket.

Actions speak louder then words when it comes to the police, what they tell you and what they can legally do many times are two different things. I do know video cameras have help, gone are the days when the police would yell at you.

I recall being in my buddies car as a teenager in the 70's and he got pulled over for speeding and he was wearing his seatbelt. The cop screamed at him, "oh, your wearing your seatbelt huh, are you plan on having an accident, well you will if you keep driving like this"..something like that the cop told him, we couldn't stop laughing...back in the old days it was much harder to lose your license, today reckless driving is too easy, IMO

I don't know if different states have different laws--I don't see how when Federal laws overrule state laws. I do know cops sometimes LIE or are mistaken on the law and you gotta get a lawyer and go to court to straighten out the matter and sometimes even sue the police if they don't stop harassing you.

This is straight from the Michigan State Police website.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#belts

Question: I own a car built in 1957 which did not come from the factory with seatbelts. Can I legally drive this vehicle on the road and take my children with me without seatbelts?

Answer: Yes. MCL 257.710b states in part that a private passenger vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1965 must be equipped with safety belts for the driver and one other front seat passenger. MCL 257.710d states in part that child restraint requirements do not apply to motor vehicles not required to be equipped with safety belts under federal law or regulation.
Ok i got your point ther are some states mybe diff i didnt think bout that before i posted , I still dont think its a good ideal tho . Keep rocking bud :hello1:

6 second strreet car is cool but i,m very happy with a 10 second one that I can drive anywhere.

Ok i got your point ther are some states mybe diff i didnt think bout that before i posted , I still dont think its a good ideal tho . Keep rocking bud :hello1:

your cop was wrong. read paragraph 2 [ame]http://www.ok.gov/ohso/documents/CPS_SB_brochure.pdf[/ame]

Still probably not worth the hassle. Okie cops make me nervous.

Larson drives that nova all over kansas city mo. I pass him driving by on a weekly basis. Even seen it sitting at a grocery store. It is a driver like ao many that are not. Ive seen him 20 miles or 30 minutes away from his shop cruising the roadways. Dint think for a second he doesnt drive it cuz he does. He has also been in the .80s but only 209ish mph. So lutz still is not faster than larson, yet.

Larry built the original pink Nova in Colby Kansas in the earley 90's.The car ran 10.0's in street trim and he drove it alot.That car stuck out like a sore thumb being hot pink.The cops had no problem spotting him when he was out.I think the new colors are a much better choice for a very fast street car.

You're kidding, right????

Street tires? As in BFG radials or something similar? You must like spinning the tires and getting slow Et's.

Seal them up, no tinkering, no tools??? Holy crap what a joke. For decades, street racers with street cars have been bringing another set of sticky tires with them to the track. Along with tools, timing lights, etc. Even guys with 13 second cars used to crawl under them to uncork the exhaust, change jets in the carb and check the timing because track conditions can and do change during the day. But according to you if you do any of that, then you don't have a street car.

I'd say that any of those 6 second cars that can travel 1500 miles while towing a trailer full of gear and run a bunch of races IS A STREET CAR! I don't like the jungle gym cages in them, but at those speeds - 200+ mph - you'll be thanking Jesus for it if you end up getting outta the groove and into the wall. A street car is whatever someone wants it to be and what they're willing to put up with.

And if it's stock you want, there's always the pure stock drags. http://www.purestockdrags.com/

Wylde1.

Yup, I say in order to be a street car it must have:

• Tags,
  • Title,
  • insurance,
  • actual street tires, (no slicks, no drag radials, something you'd actually drive in the rain.)
  • Pump gas or e85 (none of this Drive on 87, race on C16 crap)
  • Stock chassis, No clip cars, no backhalfed cars
  • full factory glass
  • Lights, mirrors, All of the interior, carpet, headliner, all the seats, etc.
  • Heat, a/c (optional but preferred) Radio, courtesy lights,
  • None of these jungle gym rollcages,
  • No enormous tubs
  • You shouldn't need tools to race it.
  • It should start happily when it's cold, and idle happily when it's hot.

And finally, it's not a requirement in my book, but a street car really oughtta race in the exact same state of tune it's driven to the track in. I'd love to see at drag week or something similar, them put tape across the car's hood gaps, and on the links of the suspension on the cars, and if the tape gets broken, they're DQ'd You'd see a lot fewer quick cars if they're not allowed to mess with them between races and between passes.

Y'know, really, getting to think about it, that's really what makes a race car, isn't it? The constant adjusting to get every last hundredth of a thousandth of a second. Tweaking with every trick known to an experienced racer with umpteen years experience. As opposed to a street car where all the tinkering goes on in the garage, then the tools get put away, and the car gets driven.

as long as I can drive car to go fishing. It is street legal. I haven't fished in a while.

You're kidding, right????

Street tires? As in BFG radials or something similar? You must like spinning the tires and getting slow Et's.

Seal them up, no tinkering, no tools??? Holy crap what a joke. For decades, street racers with street cars have been bringing another set of sticky tires with them to the track. Along with tools, timing lights, etc. Even guys with 13 second cars used to crawl under them to uncork the exhaust, change jets in the carb and check the timing because track conditions can and do change during the day. But according to you if you do any of that, then you don't have a street car.

I'd say that any of those 6 second cars that can travel 1500 miles while towing a trailer full of gear and run a bunch of races IS A STREET CAR! I don't like the jungle gym cages in them, but at those speeds - 200+ mph - you'll be thanking Jesus for it if you end up getting outta the groove and into the wall. A street car is whatever someone wants it to be and what they're willing to put up with.

And if it's stock you want, there's always the pure stock drags. http://www.purestockdrags.com/

Wylde1.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. 1500 miles and a string of 6 second time slips = street car!!

-
Back