fastest way to strip paint off car

-
Before you use sand from the hardware store you might want to read up on Silicosis. Although blasting with a pressure washer would probably keep it down. Black Beauty and other blasting media are low in silca for a reason.

72 scamp tramp, Can you give me some specifics on the walmart attachment ? I have ruined countless compressors and spent oodles of hours sand blasting car and old tractors....this sounds like an awesome idea keeping it cool in the process. I looked on Walmart nothing is standing out as a pressure washer attachment . Also to mr mopar tech, I'm so curious to take baking soda and water to something I'm about to head to the grocery store, what is the story here?

Ok... Here's what I know about media blasting and stripping cars that I've painted and what I would suggest on a budget;

Avoid media blasting on a budget, unless you like masking every gap on the car.

Media gets EVERYWHERE. You will blow it out of frame rails and the interior eight times and still get sand or whatever media you used, out of the car, for months.

Unless you are doing some serious surgery down low on the car for rust, avoid it. It can show up while you are painting it. Those little drain holes will act as a venturi and spit sand all over panels.

When I tore the back end apart on the AAR at work, last week, I was shocked at how much garnet was trapped in the front area of the lower quarter panels. I ended up making a vacuum wand to get piles of it out from where the rocker panels meet the quarters, from blasting the rear seat area.

I think I got about 2lbs of media out of each one, and this was after I blew the rockers out, months ago, when I acid etch primed the car when I got it back.

You can media blast it, but mask the daylights out of holes and gaps in the car, or you will get sand in the finish when painting.

What I do on a budget;

Get paint stripper from Home Depot. Any will do. They are all ammonia based. Some of the aircraft/ automotive ones have more ketone in them, but even the house paint stripper will do it's job on your car.

Get cheap drop cloth plastc, put the stripper on the panel in one brush direction, as thick as you can get it on and lay the plastic over the panel and stripper. Let it do it's thing for about 20-30 minutes. Do as much as you like at one time.

Once you get the majority of it scraped off, do it again on any areas that you think it may need, but don't worry about getting all of it off. The stripper will weaken the paint that sticks, significantly. Scrape off as much as you can on to more drop cloth plastic and pitch it in the trash.

After that, come back in the next day with it dry, scrape it dry again with the paint scraper to get any loose shale off, then hit it with a DA sander with 80 grit.

180 is ideal for primer, but what I've found is that 180 does not bite hard surfaces enough. It does great on feathering soft surfaces, primer, filler, paint, plastic, etc., but 80 works better to remove old paint and give good mechanical adhesion on hard surfaces.

The paint stripper for house siding works and is cheap. a roll of 80 grit paper runs about $40

hope this helps.

Dave

72 scamp tramp, Can you give me some specifics on the walmart attachment ? I have ruined countless compressors and spent oodles of hours sand blasting car and old tractors....this sounds like an awesome idea keeping it cool in the process. I looked on Walmart nothing is standing out as a pressure washer attachment . Also to mr mopar tech, I'm so curious to take baking soda and water to something I'm about to head to the grocery store, what is the story here?

Northern Tool:
sandblasting pressure washer attachment: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...&type=search&gclid=CM_43tmrgb4CFU5lfgod7xkAOg

Get r blasted. You'll be ahead. Did my entire car, inside and out by hand, and every trick in the book, it sucked. No thank you. But if your in the mood for a treat, an angle grinder with a paint strip wheel, mixed with an angle wire wheel, will get you close, wear them safety glasses.

Bighammer posted pretty much what I used. I think i did my hood in under an hour. Yes you will get sand everywhere but for as long as it takes with anything else it will be less effort. With chemicals you have to let it set up, then scrap it. Then do it again and again. Then figure out where your going to put this caustic material. Grinder will heat and heat fast, its slow, not to mention the consuming discs. If you have a shop vac and a bare shell I dont see clean up being too bad.

I like that pressure washer attachment, 68 bucks for a piece of pipe and a hose? Off to the hardware store! BTW, looks like CA should give me a $1000 for it as it failed smog...YES!
PS> is actually passed the emissions, but failed the OB diagnostics...because I let the battery run dead: WTF? Oh well ;-)

Park it east of Midland Texas on a day like today!!!! I live 150 miles east and the wind is 40-45 mph and gusting to 55 mph! It has been like this since 9 am this morning.

Park it east of Midland Texas on a day like today!!!! I live 150 miles east and the wind is 40-45 mph and gusting to 55 mph! It has been like this since 9 am this morning.

The Santana winds (Not Santa Ana as often stated) blow at ~80 here every once in a while, thats some whippin' wind! Semi's blow over regularly.

sand blast: never get the sand where some doesn't blow into your paint????
stripper: ya got to be sure some doesn't remain in a crack and not neutralized, or nothing sticks there. be carefull about DA ing after stripper, the sandpaper can grind some of that chemical into any sheetmetal, especially if has some pits.
the resto guys I know, d a everthing off one way or another
the water blasting sounds perfect if you don't distort your metal.
ideal is to find KID that wants to learn how to sand off stuff. don't pay him anything, till done! LOL

If you want to know the fastest way to strip paint off a car...

Let my ex wife or her sister drive it...

I was thinking of driving through a dust storm in Texas.....

-
Back