Father-Daughter 75 Dart Restoration

-

troesh

Reaction score
Hello,

I asked my daughter what kind of car she would like for her first car and she said she wanted to restore an older car. We found a 75 Dart Swinger from a co-worker with a slant 6 for $1000. The body is in incredibly good shape. We do powder coating out of the house so that should save some money. This is our first restoration but I thought the bonding with her would be worth it. Not quite sure where to start but any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

welcome from Illinois.... and I've been to your town a few times...

Welcome!! And it's great that your daughter wants to restore an old Mopar! I hope my girls are into cars when they're older!

Welcome from Illinois Larry. Been doing a Daddy Daughter project with my twin daughters on/off for the past 4 years. Some of the best times I have had (And am stilling having!). They just got they're learners permits so times ticking!

Be well,
Pat

Not quite sure where to start but any and all advice would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard, sounds like an awesome time for sure.

Where to start? Form a plan, stock resto, restomod etc. Figure which direction you want to go, form a plan and try and stick with it.

Changing midstream once, twice, etc can get costly, lol.

Welcome to FABO - post pics of your car! and enjoy the project with your daughter!!!

Coming from the daughter in the daddy daughter restore. Please keep an open mind to what SHE wants in the car. If SHE doesn't want all original, be open to the idea and not shut her down immediately. When my dad and I started our project, I was 10 years old. We built it together, slowly, and I drove my 1972 Dodge Dart swinger on my 16th b-day. I loved the car, but wished I could do some things "different". At the age of 17 1/2, I was involved in a driver to driver head on and my car was totaled. (my car saved my life, as I saved my cars life at the age of 10 when she was on the way to scrap)

Not able to look at my car, my dad stored licorice at my god fathers home. 5 years later, I wanted her back. And so we begun the process again. Except this time we were doing it from ground up.. Powder coat, under carriage, ALL of it. Being older and using my own money, I wanted to change a few things and add my touch to it. My dad was not having it. It started so much drama and animosity between us, that we both walked away from the car, and each other, for almost 2 years. Since this time, I have taken the car back and started building licorice, totally MY way. My money, my ideas and with no ones negative comments. I will have the big reveal when she is completed.

I wish you lots of luck and happy times. There will also be many tears and blood shed. Its going to be totally worth it. I have my own forum with my results and process and ideas for licorice. Would love for you to follow, as I will follow you.

Welcome, from Phx, AZ

Coming from the daughter in the daddy daughter restore. Please keep an open mind to what SHE wants in the car. If SHE doesn't want all original, be open to the idea and not shut her down immediately. When my dad and I started our project, I was 10 years old. We built it together, slowly, and I drove my 1972 Dodge Dart swinger on my 16th b-day. I loved the car, but wished I could do some things "different". At the age of 17 1/2, I was involved in a driver to driver head on and my car was totaled. (my car saved my life, as I saved my cars life at the age of 10 when she was on the way to scrap)

Not able to look at my car, my dad stored licorice at my god fathers home. 5 years later, I wanted her back. And so we begun the process again. Except this time we were doing it from ground up.. Powder coat, under carriage, ALL of it. Being older and using my own money, I wanted to change a few things and add my touch to it. My dad was not having it. It started so much drama and animosity between us, that we both walked away from the car, and each other, for almost 2 years. Since this time, I have taken the car back and started building licorice, totally MY way. My money, my ideas and with no ones negative comments. I will have the big reveal when she is completed.

I wish you lots of luck and happy times. There will also be many tears and blood shed. Its going to be totally worth it. I have my own forum with my results and process and ideas for licorice. Would love for you to follow, as I will follow you.

Welcome, from Phx, AZ
Thank you so much for the advice. What part of Phoenix are you from? I grew up on the border between Phoenix and Glendale. I could not agree more on letting her choose what she wants. It started with the plum metallic purple paint she picked out. Not my first choice but she likes it. My hope is that if she buys into the car then she will take care of it but, as you pointed out, she will not buy in if I make all the decisions on what it will ultimately look like. Thanks again and I will post as we go along.

Cool thread, I would love to see your car.

The timing of this thread is crazy because I recently picked up a 75 dart swinger as well and I intend to get it running and fix it up as I go.

I have a 68 dart daily driver and I was hoping to use this 75 to replace the 68 for DD duty.

I like the "late A's" and how they came with disc brakes and all the goodies, from the factory, I am keeping this car all 75.

BTW, you are just up the road from me. Are you in the southern Colorado mopar club???

CIMG0020 - Copy.JPG

Cool thread, I would love to see your car.

The timing of this thread is crazy because I recently picked up a 75 dart swinger as well and I intend to get it running and fix it up as I go.

I have a 68 dart daily driver and I was hoping to use this 75 to replace the 68 for DD duty.

I like the "late A's" and how they came with disc brakes and all the goodies, from the factory, I am keeping this car all 75.

BTW, you are just up the road from me. Are you in the southern Colorado mopar club???

View attachment 1714933091
That would be great. Is this the website? Southern Colorado Mopars Homepage: Classic Muscle Car/Truck Auto Club I will try to make the June 18 show. The car will not be ready but I would love to have my daughter see some of the cars.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out great!!!! I just got a 75 Dart Swinger as well (318, auto, AC), and although my daughter loves my old cars that I acquire, she really doesn't have an interest in helping me work on my projects........ I'm OK with that, cuz she does come out in the garage every now and then to see what I'm doing next to the car!!! :)

Thank you so much for the advice. What part of Phoenix are you from? I grew up on the border between Phoenix and Glendale. I could not agree more on letting her choose what she wants. It started with the plum metallic purple paint she picked out. Not my first choice but she likes it. My hope is that if she buys into the car then she will take care of it but, as you pointed out, she will not buy in if I make all the decisions on what it will ultimately look like. Thanks again and I will post as we go along.

Im actually true Phoenician. Born and raised in South Phoenix. Great point! And I believe the same, if she wants it, likes it, helps build it. She will appreciate it WAY more.....

Can't wait to see pictures....

-
Back