Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Moving in NJ in January may not be a pleasant experience.
Going to have a moving company do it, or rely on child labor?

I am a cheap bastard so child labor would work fine for me.

My wife wants a mover. It would be fun to watch my kids carry all of our stuff though! The new house gets the garage roof torn off first thing to add on the new master bedroom suite. The car will be in a storage unit the addition is on....

So.. 2 years from now you will work on the Duster again?
Anyways, family is more important than a shiny piece of steel.
Good luck

Don't say **** like that! The whole reason I wanted to stay where we are is because that would allow me to keep going on the car without interruption.
My friend and fellow FABO guy is AlV. He stopped by over the weekend and we have an outline to make progress.
Al is nearly done with his GTS and just because he is a great guy, he wants to give us a shot in the arm and help us get the car back together.

Crap! I mis-read your earlier post. I was confused. I thought you'd said your wife wanted a mower. I guess a mover makes more sense now that I read it again. I agree with Sireland. Child labor is cheap (and then you can afford a mower for your wife).

Don't say **** like that! The whole reason I wanted to stay where we are is because that would allow me to keep going on the car without interruption.
My friend and fellow FABO guy is AlV. He stopped by over the weekend and we have an outline to make progress.
Al is nearly done with his GTS and just because he is a great guy, he wants to give us a shot in the arm and help us get the car back together.

Ouch, pretty sure I heard somebody get slapped. Lol

Sounds like you have a plan to keep the build moving forward. Wish I was closer to help with either the car or the move. Still, maybe... I will stay tuned.

I agree with the child labor piece. I have six...even the small ones have jobs like picking up pine cones....I have seen those shows on TV too where everything for your car can be found in one place on the web. Ships right out, no back order, all comes with perfect fit. And **** two guys will assemble the whole thing in 30 minutes!

I'm not seeing why this should be an issue??!! Lol

Ouch, pretty sure I heard somebody get slapped. Lol Sounds like you have a plan to keep the build moving forward. Wish I was closer to help with either the car or the move. Still, maybe... I will stay tuned.

No slapping at all Keith. 3 years ago when we moved into this house the car was temporarily in storage during the move. I would drag 3 of my kids to the unit and we would wrench grind and weld right there! They have 20x20 units at the place and I'm going to see if a can talk the manager into letting me have one of those for the price of a 10x20. There are a lot of empties there

Shawns 2 year statement struck a nerve. My son was 14 when we bought the car and he'll be 19 this March. Where does the time go?

Shawns 2 year statement struck a nerve. My son was 14 when we bought the car and he'll be 19 this March. Where does the time go?

Believe me, I completely understand. Had mine since summer '08. Thought I would do a few quick fixes and get it on the road. LOL

No slapping at all Keith. 3 years ago when we moved into this house the car was temporarily in storage during the move. I would drag 3 of my kids to the unit and we would wrench grind and weld right there! They have 20x20 units at the place and I'm going to see if a can talk the manager into letting me have one of those for the price of a 10x20. There are a lot of empties there

Slapping required, I just gave you a dose of reality.
I have been working on the old duster for 5 years, but stop for a while to work on "another project"
At least yours in painted, mine is at the time to put 1/4 panels on, but no time.

My advice is to get the motor running if nothing else, make the mechanics work, concentrate on the shiny stuff later.
If you already have it running "slap me"

I hear you Shawn. Going to leave the motor dry until spring and keep on gathering and refinishing parts.
Going to fire the motor in early spring....

Fresh Christmas trees are the best.
When I was a kid we planted 2000 of them on the family farm.
They make awesome trees, but my wife is allergic to the fresh pine.

When we planted the trees, dad said it was for our college education, yeah right, it makes great deer cover, he got that one past mom some how.

Funny thing is the wife and kids set the fake tree up tonight.

Here is another showing the whole deal.

View attachment image-3511191274.jpg

It's the stock cluster cleaned and painted in satin black with new wood grain overlays. My friend Al suggested cutting the heater/radio bezel and discarding the bottom. In that space from right to left are a 2-1/2" tachometer, a 2 post aftermarket din radio, 2" oil pressure gauge and 2" temperature gauge. An of course the glove box. The DMT wood grain overlay kit worked well, but a lot of trimming was required around the speedo to make it all fit well

I am going to switch out the Equis temp and oil gauges ( there is some yellow graphics on the face) to Bosch gauges. They have almost an exact face and font match to the tach and the small Bosch text on the bottom of the face is red. I like red.....

That dash looks awesome, I wish I would have done that instead of putting the aftermarket one in mine.

Q09xcb.jpg

There's something about classic grills and dashes that really catch your eye.

-
Back